Newcomer's questions

Forum Forums Discussion Newcomer's questions

This topic contains 133 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Gray Gray 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

From what I see, once you lose link, game client just auto-closes (or should I say “crashes”?) This basically means: once some window is down, bot has to just restart it and reconnect to it. AV software is not really major problem: you can always add exceptions. On the other hand, logging into account for a bot which is not used to send mouse clicks could be… not as easy to implement.

But then again, a casual player pays for just a single instance of Miqobot monthly, while professional RMT farmer could pay for 10 or 20!

Arc
    Arc
    1+

Nope. Once you lose connection your screen instantly turns black and you get this screen:

https://img2.finalfantasyxiv.com/accimg2/3d/6c/3d6cafa5e575801fa1f022d82a813e1f816fb29f.jpg

When you press ok it brings you back to the title screen (the one after the login with Start Game, Configuration, Select Datacenter, Exit etc.).
    If you press Start Game then and the game still can’t connect (e.g. due to still no internet connection) this screen here appears:

http://de.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fbm0k6&s=8#.XKUqMkdfiUk

And when you press ok there, the game shuts down completely and instantly.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

AV software is not really major problem: you can always add exceptions.

Yea thats my thinking too. But theres also this: https://miqobot.com/forum/forums/topic/miqradar-exe-showing-as-virus-a-follow-up/

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Arc: hmmm weird… either there is something wrong with my client, or I’ve pressed just too many keys while trying to regain control over my char before I realized that it was lag/disconnect.

Lyfox: but you can add the whole Miqobot folder to exceptions (i.e. radar included)? Also, you can turn off AV software while downloading.

Still… now I wonder what does it take to reach Miqobot devs and have them at least consider adding this feature %) Most probably every Miqobot user gains from ability to put their chars on unattended farm somewhere in godforgotten world corner while they sleep, without worrying about inet troubles.

Arc
    Arc
    1+

Arc: hmmm weird… either there is something wrong with my client, or I’ve pressed just too many keys while trying to regain control over my char before I realized that it was lag/disconnect.

That sounds more like a different problem. For a lot of people FFXIV occasionally crashes saying something about a DirectX error. That’s a common problem since forever, which SE doesn’t seem capable of fixing.
    For me it happened about 5 times in 4 years.

Still… now I wonder what does it take to reach Miqobot devs and have them at least consider adding this feature

It takes writing another topic, specifically addressing this as a feature request. The devs usually answer a lot of questions here, if it’s not answered by the community itself.

Just as an example, in this thread Miqo kept answering a whole bunch of questions all the time:

And that Miqobot account is the Dev’s account.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

Theres a feedback form on the website: https://miqobot.com/#support

Lyfox: but you can add the whole Miqobot folder to exceptions (i.e. radar included)? Also, you can turn off AV software while downloading.

I mean theres always that one guy who screams louder than everyone else because he doesnt know how to setup his AV.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant
    1+

Most probably every Miqobot user gains from ability to put their chars on unattended farm somewhere in godforgotten world corner while they sleep, without worrying about inet troubles.

People here don’t do that, this is what get you a ban. There used to be “godforgotten world corner” in 1.x, it’s all gone since 2.0, since they replace the open world with tiny zones with borders and loading screens, and since they got rid of level 99 monsters.

To me the only downside of a disconnection is too lose your logs history. I keep an ear on the game by filtering the most important sounds (whispers, FC, LS, etc.), so I can intervene when it’s required, but there’s some stuff that doesn’t make sound and are challenging to build alerts for through ACT (emote, /say), and therefore every now and then I like to maximise the game, maximise the logs, and have a quick look at what happened since last time, and intervene if required.

When you get a disconnection, you lose the history logs (there are still somewhere on your hard drive, but the files are nowhere near easy to go through), and it’s like having a memory black out, you have no idea what happened before, it’s kinda scary, especially for accounts that worth more than 20k $.

There’s features I requested about that, but they’re all part of a special milestone in the bot, redoing its GUI and QoL, and this will only happen when major features are all already well implemented enough. We’re getting there, the crafting solver was a major thing, then the Scenario Engine was a major one too, and now the Combat features are ongoing, but there’s the expansion in the middle.

What I requested is a log alert system, triggering alarm for what you choose, emotes, /say, etc. and as well as replicating the important logs in Miqobot window (with the ability to maximise that window), so that when you get a disconnection, you can still read what happened before (did someone waved at you and you didn’t answered, etc.).

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator
    1+

What I requested is a log alert system, triggering alarm for what you choose, emotes, /say, etc. and as well as replicating the important logs in Miqobot window (with the ability to maximise that window), so that when you get a disconnection, you can still read what happened before (did someone waved at you and you didn’t answered, etc.).

I’m not sure what do you call “alarm”, but I’d certainly want to see such thing as sound alarm played by bot (i.e. played even if master volume in the game is set to zero, and you are sleeping near your farm, or, say, just reading forum while your toon works for you). It would attract your attention if something really bad happens (say, other players intervene, or bot is stuck somehow, or *shiver* there is incoming tell from a GM)!

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

I’m not sure what do you call “alarm”

Pretty much what you described, either loud sound from the bot, or custom WAV files played by the bot, or custom Windows Text To Speech triggered by the bot.

Right now you can filter a bit the sounds coming from the game, remove the music, the sfx from you and other players (battle sound, crafting sound, gathering sound, etc.) and keep your FC, LS, whisper sounds high, but this filter will still produce annoying useless game system sound.
    What would be great, is disabling completely game sound, and rely on Miqobot alerts.

Right now you can also remove in-game sounds, and rely on the notorious ACT (Advanced Combat Tracker), that all of us raiders use to parse fights, upload parses to FFlogs, and use for custom mechanics sound alerts.
    It has a custom trigger feature, that you can use to parse the logs and trigger WAV files or TTS alert. The problem is, this system won’t work easily from some important things, emotes, /say. Because it’s just made to parse text, while Miqobot is aware of metadata beyond that and can differentiate all sort of stuff.

Since most of Miqobot users always keep an eye on the game, it never has been a high priority feature to implement, and is part of the GUI/QoL planned update that is still far away from now.

Arc
    Arc
    2+

Quick note though:

played even if master volume in the game is set to zero

When you tab out of the game, all sounds of the game are muted by default. However, you can select an option in the game, that certain things get played, while FFXIV is tabbed out. Those include music, performance music, sound effects, but most importantly for us: System sounds. This means, the sounds error-messages, menu selection, but most importantly, incoming tells and sound notifications make.
    So basically, you can let the bot run in the background, all sounds of the game disabled, with the exception of system sounds, so you hear the notoriously loud “whisper”-sound-effect, when someone sends you a /tell.

Xion
    Participant

They’re working on a Nintendo Switch version as well as an Xbox version (it takes time for Xbox because they want the same thing as with PlayStation, true cross-platform and not being force to pay for online playing on top of the monthly fee).

Isn’t that just speculations? I haven’t seen any hard proof other than wishes or rumor mills.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

Yoshida repeated several times through the past 6 years their attempts and progress in negotiations with Microsoft, and during interviews in the last Japan Fan Fest, he said again they were making progress, and he revealed as well their will to release a Switch version, and a Google shitty streaming Stadia version.

Speaking to GameSpot from the Square Enix Japan offices today in Shinjuku, game director Naoki Yoshida said versions of the game are possible for Xbox and Nintendo systems. In fact, he said discussions with Microsoft and Nintendo, as well as Google, are currently underway.

As he’s said in previous interviews, Yoshida stressed with GameSpot that FINAL FANTASY XIV needs to support cross-play to have its playerbases united and offer the best experience. That’s currently possible on PS4 and PC, but not with other systems, which has presumably kept the game off Xbox and Nintendo systems so far. However, now that Sony, as well as Nintendo, is beginning to allow cross-play with competing platforms for games like Fortnite and Rocket League, it seems more likely than ever that FINAL FANTASY XIV comes to new platforms.

[…]

“So we are talking with Nintendo, Microsoft, and Google, of course; we cannot say anything at the moment because we are still in negotiations, but once we have details we can make an announcement; we can bring the news to everyone. We are currently negotiating will all those platforms.”

Source

But I don’t take those news as good ones, the game lacks both graphical quality and artistic direction, adding low end hardware clients will continue to prevent the PC version to get any better.
    No graphical/physics/netcode improvements were made for 4.0, none will be made for 5.0, last time they talked about improving quality they said maybe for 6.0 in 2021, but their workflows for creating assets, to my opinion, are really unprofessional, and nowhere near what they should have been for a game meant to last over a decade, quite the opposite.

Arc
    Arc
    1+

Not only their workflows are unprofessional – also their coding is extremely cluncky and a disgrace.

The best example for this is their inventory system and the reason, why we can’t get many inventory increases, nor a proper transmog system. Here’s a quote from Naoki Yoshida from an interview in 2015:

We have a few 100,000 players in all worlds at the same time, and every 15 seconds data will be going to the servers and stored, so a lot of data is transmitted. If we have more items in the inventory, there will be more data to handle; times a few 1,000 bytes per item per character. That’s going to be a high load on the servers.

Now the first thing that comes to my mind as a ComSci student for Bachelor of Science is:
    “Who the hell was the brainless idiot, that thought it would be a great idea to handle every item in the inventory of an MMO as an individual multi-kilobyte file instead of simply handling the whole inventory as a database?!”

I mean, think about it. Let’s math this whole thing through on a minimalistic level:
    Assuming, every player has only 2 retainers, we have 140 inventory slots + 439 armory slots + 350 retainer slots = 929 slots. Now if we go back and remember, that every item slot (since empty slots also have to count as file full of zeros) is several 1000 bytes (=kB’s) in size, we’re looking into several megabytes of data, that gets backed up to the server every 15 seconds.
    Now let’s be even more optimistic/pessimistic (how you see it) and assume, that FFXIV only has the 600k active players from the LuckyBancho census. Then we’re looking into multiples of 600 Gigabytes of data that gets backed up to the server every 15 seconds. Most likely it’s several Terabytes of data that runs through them all the time.

If however the whole inventory of a player was coded as a database with plain text-data for every variable (Item slot, item ID, durability, etc.), the whole inventory of a player would only be a few kB in size. So who on earth thought, it was a good idea to code the game’s inventory like Square Enix did?!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Arc Arc.
    Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

a few 1,000 bytes per item

Now I start to wonder: why? Do they store last ten owners of every item or so? Then making a chain of throwaway characters in hope to ensure safety of an RMT transaction has to be completely pointless…

Arc
    Arc
    1+

Now I start to wonder: why? Do they store last ten owners of every item or so? Then making a chain of throwaway characters in hope to ensure safety of an RMT transaction has to be completely pointless…

I have absolutely no clue, what they store or which file format individual items are saved as, that makes every item so big. I don’t even know, if they store previous owners in general (only the original crafter, who made the item if it’s crafted).
    I only know, an item must have at least the following values, since they’re variable:

– Item-Slot (where in the inventory it currently is)
    – Item-ID
    – Item-Count
    – NQ/HQ-Status
    – Glamour
    – Dye-Color
    – Materia Slot 1
    – Materia Slot 2
    – Materia Slot 3
    – Materia Slot 4
    – Materia Slot 5
    – Durability %
    – Spiritbond %
    – Original Crafter (who made the item)

But I believe, that the reason, why item data is so big, is mainly due to Square Enix’s bad coding.
    Another example for their bad coding is, that instead of a characters equipment being a linked list on a character-data server, all inventory data is saved on the same server, that your character is currently on. When you change the game instance, all character-data is copied from one instance server onto the other instance-server and moved there. And with instance they didn’t mean going into duties like dungeons, raids etc. They meant every single map of the game, since maps are all saved on individual sub-servers on every server. And when you go into dungeons/raids/etc. the leap is even much bigger, since all your data is copied from your game server to the big instance-server for each datacenter.

The thing is, that in Japan software-code-developers are a job that is paid extremely bad and that is looked down upon, which is propably one of the reasons, why the game’s code is so bad. Another reason might be, that even the remake that is A Realm Reborn wasn’t designed with more than half a million players in mind, since they didn’t expect the game to recover so well after the flop that FFXIV 1.0 was.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.