Newcomer's questions

Forum Forums Discussion Newcomer's questions

This topic contains 133 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Gray Gray 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Disclaimer: I’ve never been playing FF14, let alone using any bots for it. I’m just looking for a [still alive] MMO game to earn some rl money via botting, much like I did it in WoW (for 3 years) and EVE Online (for 5 years). All I need right now is general info about this game (and this bot), just to assess its relative profitability. This is why I want to ask just a few questions (for now)… kind of surprised that answers to alike questions aren’t added to local FAQ yet.

1) I assume this bot can perform certain in-game activities (say, run in circles and kill/loot mobs, or rather complete some repeatable quests/missions, and so forth) to gather game valuables and convert them into game currency (gil, right?) So the question is: now much gil per hour is considered normal average income for a single instance of the game controlled by this bot?

2) I assume every bot gets banned sooner or later. I’m more or less ok with it; I just want to know: how long is lifespan of an average single account used for botting (and I mean careful botting – some 8-12 hours a day, not some 24/7 careless run)? Also, does this bot contain any means to prevent ban spread? I mean, when game masters discover a single botting account and ban it, I would like my other accounts on the same comp to continue farming rather than be discovered and banned together with the first one.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    5+

Well we dont get a lot of real money traders here so its not really a frequently asked question. Probably thats why it isnt added to FAQ.

1) Generating gil from looting mobs and quests is extremely slow in this game. Its balanced to discourage mass botting. And thats why Miqo features are better suited for common players. A single high level crafter can make 100x more per day than a full party of teleport exploiting bots.

2) Been using Miqo for 2+ years without issues. If youre playing smart you have nothing to worry about. Theres a dedicated guide on safety: https://miqobot.com/forum/forums/topic/is-miqobot-safe/

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

1) Activity type does not matter 🙂 I can set up a bot to kill mobs, or to complete quests, or to craft things, and so on – as long as it brings lots of game money. As far as I can see, Miqobot supports crafting; now you say crafting brings lots of gil. So the next logical question pops up: how much gil do you gain per hour of crafting, using decent character controlled by Miqobot? Oh, and I hope it does not require months of exping/leveling to create a “single high level crafter”…

2) I know Miqobot does not use any speed-teleport-whatever hacks which are quite easy to catch and ban (no decent bot does that, actually: bots intended for long-time runs do their best to “emulate” real human players who use just a simple unmodified game client, and thus blend into the crowd of players). Still, everyone gets banned – due to player reports, due to lots of produced goodies… due to RMT, at long last. This is why I want some professional botter (i.e. one having farm of many windows running 24/7, rotating accounts) commenting this topic, actually. It’s hard to believe that there is a working and SUPPORTED bot which is not used by RMT botters!

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    7+

1) Yea it does require a lot of time investment to level and gear up a crafter for decent income. Thats why i mentioned its suited for players better. Imo its also the reason this MMO is alive and thriving. Theres tons of content for players which is actually fun to do. And Miqo makes it even more fun.

2) Youre right im not qualified to answer this question as i play only two accounts. Maybe someone can give a better advice.

Arc
    Arc
    4+

A single high level crafter can make 100x more per day than a full party of teleport exploiting bots.

100x more? You could even say, a single high level crafter can make more than 10.000-100.000x as much money than a full party of mob grinding bots.

I can set up a bot to kill mobs, or to complete quests, or to craft things, and so on

As I said, killing mobs only nets you a pathetic amount of items (and no in-game money at all). Even if you have a max level character, just simply grinding only nets you a poor amount of gil and those mats only make gil by being sold to other players, who have to buy them organically and they only do so at a slow rate.
    Completing quests only nets you a low amount of gil compared to the time it takes to complete them and Miqobot is not equipped to do quests / questlines. You’d have to make a full scenario for yourself, which would propably take weeks, if not months to write and only then you could run it for low income.

So the next logical question pops up: how much gil do you gain per hour of crafting

It certainly depends. Crafting and gathering is the only go-to way to make gil efficiently – mostly only at the endgame-level – and you make gil only via the marketboard, by selling items to other players.
    Depending on how hard you watch/play the market board (there are currently no monitoring tools for this, so you have to check your items manually on an hourly basis) you can make somewhere between 1-20 million gil per day if you do it casually and mostly only if you’re lucky, since it all depends on player demand.
    If you really get into the game in a hardcore way and know exactly, when to sell what you could even make 10-50 million per day, if the stars align perfectly. However this takes a giant amount of effort and lots of dedication.

Oh, and I hope it does not require months of exping/leveling to create a “single high level crafter”…

Yes, it most definitely does. You have to consider the following:
    There are 8 different crafting jobs which you have to level all to max level (70), since every crafter depends on materials other crafting jobs can craft and 3 gathering jobs, which you ideally also need to level to max level, to gather the crafting materials. Leveling 1 crafting job to 70 can take as quick as 2 hours if you do it via levequests, however, you can only do this once every 2 weeks, since levequests are limited via allowances to do them (you get 6 per day and you can save up to 99 – leveling a crafter takes almost 99 allowances). Leveling a crafter via grinding and crafting collectibles takes severely longer. Maybe a few days.

And on top of all of this there is another thing you have to consider: Unlike World of Warcraft or other MMO’s like Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy XIV is hard-locked behind the main story. This means, you simply cannot access the endgame zones (not even the endgame zones from the previous expansion), until you have completed the main storyline quest to that point.
    The main quest is extremely long and takes several days, if not weeks to complete. The current speed running world record for completing it is 24 hours and 45 minutes and this was under ideal conditions (no queue times, etc.).

And lastly, another note: Current RMT prices however are only around 1.5$ per million gil, so I doubt RMT will be a lucrative business for a single person.

Still, everyone gets banned – due to player reports, due to lots of produced goodies…

This is simply false. I have been using Miqobot on a daily basis now for almost 3 years and you know what it took me to get a single ban? I farmed the gold saucer for a week straight, non-stop, unattended, during an event, where people would get the double amount of MGP from the gold saucer, so this place was crowded as hell. A whole week it took until enough people reported me so Square Enix thought “Oh crap, there might actually be someone botting” and in the end it wasn’t even a real ban. It was a 3 day account suspension and afterwards I was allowed to play again.
    The only people that really get banned are RMT advertising bots, that shout 24/7 in the city about their website, where people can buy gil. And even those take hours, if not days until they get banned. It is a common complaint from the community, that Square Enix is extremely slow with this.

It’s hard to believe that there is a working and SUPPORTED bot which is not used by RMT botters!

Oh you can bet, that for sure there are some RMT botters that use Miqobot, but most of them absolutely do not bother talking on the forums, since most likely 95%+ here are actually geniune players using Miqobot for easing the grind within the game.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Arc Arc.
    Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

If you really get into the game in a hardcore way and know exactly, when to sell what you could even make 10-50 million per day, if the stars align perfectly. However this takes a giant amount of effort and lots of dedication.

This is bot forum we are talking at, right? 😉 I don’t quite get it: why would you need “dedication” if you can simply set up bot and leave it to craft for the whole day, then come and put crafted items on market? Maybe you mean that I’ll have to reduce prices every now and then, to outbid other sellers? Well, according to my experience from other games, if there is highest buy order for some items at, say, 800 of some “coins”, and lowest sell order at 1000, I can safely put my crafted/farmed bundle at 900, and almost nobody would outbid it (most players would rather wait until I sell mine at 900, so they can sell at 1000+, without losing 100 coins per every item). In the worst case I can just dump my production into buy orders… well, I hope there IS such thing as “buy orders” in FF14?

It certainly depends. Crafting and gathering is the only go-to way to make gil efficiently – mostly only at the endgame-level – and you make gil only via the marketboard, by selling items to other players.
    Depending on how hard you watch/play the market board (there are currently no monitoring tools for this, so you have to check your items manually on an hourly basis) you can make somewhere between 1-20 million gil per day if you do it casually and mostly only if you’re lucky, since it all depends on player demand.

And lastly, another note: Current RMT prices however are only around 1.5$ per million gil, so I doubt RMT will be a lucrative business for a single person.

Ughm… so you say a single thoroughly played account brings you (10+50)/2 * $1.5 = $45 per day, or $1350 monthly, and on top of that this bot allows you to run several instances of the game on the same comp, which automagically results in some $5000+ monthly, and you “doubt that this will be a lucrative business”? 😉 Well, either there is too much optimism in your estimations, or you’ve never heard about countries where even $1000 per month of real full-time job (5/2, often 9-10 hours per day) is considered very, VERY decent salary! hehe

There are 8 different crafting jobs which you have to level all to max level (70), since every crafter depends on materials other crafting jobs can craft and 3 gathering jobs, which you ideally also need to level to max level, to gather the crafting materials.

Hmm… I don’t get it again: why would I want ALL jobs maxed? Every job takes some time, right? Say, a perfectly trained job X nets some 1 mil gil per hour, while alike job Y brings 1.2 mil. Why would I even train skill X when I can simply buy materials produced by job X from market, spending my time on a more profitable job?

Maybe there is just too high transaction tax (like in BDO, where even premium accounts lose 18% per every deal due to taxes), which makes buying resources for crafting from market quite pointless?

Leveling a crafter via grinding and crafting collectibles takes severely longer. Maybe a few days.

The current speed running world record for completing it is 24 hours and 45 minutes and this was under ideal conditions (no queue times, etc.).

Good news, thank you 🙂 In WoW it took me 48-49 hours playtime to get a toon at botable level (plus some 4-5 hours per every gathering skill), but that’s not much, actually. Heck, in EVE Online it required 2 weeks of skill training (i.e. logging a character once a day to buy skill books and fill skill queue) and then about 100 hours of botting (to earn enough credits for a decent bot ship) before it started to produce any extras for sale! Now keep in mind that it was quite possible that you simply get banned even before this account brings any profit, and you realize that FF14 looks like a botter heaven… Now I just hope that you really know what are you speaking about, hehe (ESPECIALLY in the part about bans).

Oh you can bet, that for sure there are some RMT botters that use Miqobot, but most of them absolutely do not bother talking on the forums, since most likely 95%+ here are actually geniune players using Miqobot for easing the grind within the game.

Hmm, I wonder if I should shut up too? 8) Well, I will, I promise – I just need a few basic info like this, and then I can learn by myself silently, hehehe.

kontu
    kontu
    Participant
    4+

1) You still have to deal with set up and changing between all the automation setups and settings while you level
    2)10-50m gil a day is a lot of work to maintain and a shitton of market play.
    3) You need all the crafters leveled because there are cross-class skills that you need to craft things usefully. So say, if you don’t level CUL, you’ll never have Steady Hand II for example.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

2)10-50m gil a day is a lot of work to maintain and a shitton of market play.

Do you mean that this work can’t be automated with Miqobot? Even if I create my own scripts/setups/whatever? Or it’s not possible to create such scripts at all (say, not enough tools to read game data, too simple scripting language and so on)?

kontu
    kontu
    Participant
    3+

You can automate some of it, but not the market board side of things currently. And market play / knowing what to sell makes a huge difference.

One day gathered ores might sell great, then for 3 weeks sell like shit.

Sora
    Sora
    Participant
    1+

Usually the highest level crafts sell the best in my experience.
    It takes a lot of effort and time to get your gear to a point where you can comfortably craft about anything in HQ.
    Not to mention that some of the crafter gear changes over the patches.
    Melding is a bitch.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    2+

Theres no point in automating the market board. Basically because its already automated. It sells things for you.
    Any automation scripts built on top of it will only force everybody to use the same kind of scripts and were back to square one.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant
    5+

I’m sure you’re a veteran RMT, and know your stuff, but since you’re seeking informations about this game, to evaluate whether or not it would be profitable enough for you, here’s some helpful informations.

So, I think you’re missing a lot of important points about how FFXIV works, and I think chances are you might end up disappointed if real money is your goal.

First, let me tells you that I bot in this game since its creation in 2010, so 9 years of botting, well 8 years because between 1.x and 2.0 during a all year the servers were closed.
    I went through 3 different bots, and I only bot to get rid of the awful grinds that plague the game literally everywhere.
    I never did it solely to get ingame currency, gils, but in the process I made 2 billions, and spent 1 (only to buy other players luck for RNG casual loot, minions, mounts, orchestrion rolls, avoiding me long useless farms).

A genuine players, botting smartly, meaning monitoring the bot at all time while doing something else, working or playing another game, ready to intervene immediately when the situation requires, won’t get banned, as long as they know the game very well, and as long as they are smart, they can always stay under the radar. But this requires really a good knowledge of the game, and a super clean bot like Miqobot.

This game was made so that it doesn’t create a lot of gils, there’s is plenty of gils sink everywhere to avoid inflation, and devs monitors carefully the amount of total gils in circulation to constantly adapt the gils created.
    You can not transfer gils to another server easily, transferring a char cost real money, and the amount of gils you can take with you is ridiculously low.
    For example, a single char, at end-game, can currently only “create” 100k gils a day out of daily leves allowance (30min craft from the bot, 30min gathering from the bot).

Usually gils sellers take their gils from 2 sources, they have their own bots, very crappy dirty bots that use injections into the game to teleport characters below the floors for example. And despite trying to be as much discreet as possible, players can easily spot them, as what they do in loop, is doing main story quest with armies of fresh characters in parties of 4, all dressed up the same way, with dumb names, following each other from NPC to NPC, and running dungeons together to avoid being paired with real players that would spot them immediately.
    The main story quest gives very little gils, take a huge amount of time to clear, and to avoid extra real money cost, those bots stop before the 1st expansion. So to be profitable, you need armies of characters doing that constantly.
    Those characters get banned all the time, them and the RMT ones advertising RMT web sites.
    The second source of gils for those gils sellers, is extra gils some players sell directly to them. This is not very widespread, as RMT will buy players gils for such a low price, in order to re-sell them for more.

I don’t know if your goal is to sell them your gils, or if you want to sell yours directly to players, but if you want to sell to RMT, don’t count on 1.5$/M, divide that, and if you want to compete with them, you’re gonna need your web store, an army of accounts and characters on all servers, an army of RMT advertisers, and viable way to re-create new accounts constantly.
    When you get a character banned for this, it’s your all service account that is banned (all your characters), and soon your entire SE account, so you’ll have to create new account with new money payment all the time. And unless you’re like those RMT factories, likely using stolen credit card to constantly create new accounts, you’re in a lot troubles.
    If you plan to sell yours directly to players, that’s not gonna be easy, any in-game advertisement you’ll make will end up in a ban of your entire account, and players buying gils prefer usually to rely on notorious RMT with a web store, as a guarantee they won’t get scammed.

This bot isn’t made (yet) to do what the RMT bot does, running MSQ with several char on its own to slowly collect very small amount of gils.
    The dev(s) of this bot planned to release some day a feature that run a char through the MSQ, but it could take years before it’s ready, as the community put emphasizes on other different features they really want before that. And even then, it might end up being something closer to a dailies farming.

The dev(s) of this bot are really fair, as in, they don’t create tools to cheat, but rather to remove from the player the burden of the grinds, and also to help them to learn some fights and jobs faster by assisting them with the bot, therefore for example, they disabled their bot to be used in PvP, as they don’t want to give players unfair advantages when it involves playing against other humans.
    They also take measures to not draw too much attention from regular players of FFXIV, or from Square Enix, so they are careful with the kind of tools they create, they want to keep a fair balance where their customers/community, the other regular players and Square Enix can all cohabit together and have something to win out of it.

So if you want to win your gils from other players, rather than from NPC (MSQ, daily leves, etc.), crafting is the way to go, but you’ll need all your crafters at max level, and all your gatherers at max level, and all of them with end-game gear set fully melded with expensive materias.
    All of them, because that’s how the game works, you can’t really create something if you don’t use all of them, as there’s tons of pre-craft that requires all of them, for a single final item. And relying on buying what you’re missing from the Market Board will make your final profit null.
    But more importantly, you might need all this, on 3 different characters, as the game created in the second expansion a protection against that.

Let me explain:
    1. What you need to know, is that crafting used to get an end-game crafter lots of gils, close to 3-5M a single piece of gear, but nowadays it’s more like less than 1M a piece of gear.
    2. Making gils through crafting fluctuate a lot during the 2 years life of an expansion.
    The huge opportunities are small windows after certain patches. For example after all even patches (3 per expansions, one every 6 month during 2 years: x.0, x.2; x.4) there’s new raid gear craftable, raiders will buy that for a lots of money, but only during roughly 3-4 weeks, because beyond that they’ll already have won better gear directly from the raid.
    New raid food and potions will sell high the first two month, then the prices will decrease a lot beyond that, as most raiders will be done.
    3. It used to be long and hard to craft, but nowadays, it’s possible for regular players well geared to craft through macros that are published publicly on Reddit. It’s not really practical, really cumbersome, but you would be surprised how widespread it is used.
    This bot went completely beyond, making everything crafting completely easy and fully automaded.
    Since both regular players using macros, and this bot users are widespread, the competition between crafters and gatherers never been that high.
    4. The competition being high, and the way the market board works, lead to prices getting constantly undercut, so much, that all prices are very low, there’s more supply than demand. You make gils, but less than it used to be, 3-5 times less.
    5. If you want to sell a lot of different items, you’ll need to pay extra real money per month to hire extra retainers.
    6. You can’t make buy orders, you can’t set your prices to automatically adjust.
    7. There’s an ingame tax on everything you sell, it’s yet again another way to remove gils from the game (there’s plenty like this one, teleportation cost a lot, you need to repair your gear constantly and it cost too, etc.).
    8. To make subsequent gils out of all this, require to play with the market a lot, and it requires a lot of time and attention, to the point the ratio of your time spent and that, and the final real money, can easily be below a paid hour of a real job, but then again, depends on the country and dedication.

All this to now explain the protection the game made against all that. Since the second expansion, the new important recipes of a fresh new patch, are locked behind a Specialist crafter, and you can only have 3 Specialists per characters, so only 3 of your 8 crafters jobs can be Specialist. You can switch between Specialist, but it cost an item (that the bot can help you to farm) and there’s a long cool down.
    So in order to massively craft the new gear or housing items of a new patch, you need 3 char with all crafters geared and melded, and you might want to have them on different accounts, as you can’t easily transfer items between the same char of one service account, because you can’t make them friends, and you can’t log with them at the same time, so you’ll need to create a Free Company (equivalent to a guild) to use its chest to transfer items. Really unpractical when used constantly for that purpose.

So all in all, Square Enix made this to slow down and reduce what a single player can do without starting to become annoying. It doesn’t stop determined people, it just made it less profitable and more annoying.

So income from crafting fluctuates a lot( right now we’re in the empty 5 month period before an expansion where the opportunities to make gils are the lowest), the competition is high, the undercutting is a plague pulling prices so low because to many casual players can craft end-game stuff now, and they just want small and fast profit.

But since you talked about dedicating quite some time into this, there’s other ways to directly make real money.
    Last expansion they started to release a new level of raid difficulty, Ultimate, and so far only 0.03% of players managed to win those 2 Ultimate fights, making their loot the most wanted weapons and titles.
    I have an end-game static dedicated to end-game raids, and we cleared both fights. Since then, I get some whispers of some players asking if we would sell the fight to them, as all important loot in this game are untradable and unsellable.
    Since my static is absolutely against selling content, and not interested by money at all, we never sold anything, but the prices those players were proposing were all around 1000 $ for one weapon.
    There’s statics of players dedicated to clear those content among the firsts, to be the 1st to sell 3-4 fights like this per week.
    They can advertise freely this in the game, as long as they don’t mention doing it for real money, as selling content for gils is allowed. But they smartly give their Discord contact, and all is then set up outside the game, where the game lose its jurisdiction, as they can’t use proof outside of the game.

Of course, when it comes to sell content like Ultimate, everyone knows it’s gonna include something illegal, because those content are so hard, that you can’t clear them with 7/8 players, meaning one player will have to control the buyer account, which is illegal.

So those statics make quite a lot of cash, 1300 $ at the release, later on it’s more like 500 $, divided by 8 players.

But it’s really, really fucking hard, requires a lot of work and dedication. It took my static 20 hours a week during 2-3 month to get the clear, 160-200 hours of training to get a clear. It requires BiS gear of course, and some resources the bot provide (gathering and crafting tons of food and potions).
    It requires lots of skills, complete knowledge of all jobs, tons of patience, and the proper mindset, as most statics breaks up during the process, because of how challenging it is on the overall moral.
    And it requires 7 other people, ready to dedicate serious and time into this, and ready to farm and sell it later. As getting one clear is something, being able to get other clears is still extremely hard, and can take several days of attempts before succeeding one more time.
    Since you never played the game, since you have no history parses to show, it could take quite a long time before a static like this dare to recruit you, but it’s not impossible.

What I’m saying is, selling Ultimate content is a tiny market, the profit are huge, the cash is direct, there’s some smart competition, and to enter that game is the most challenging thing of FFXIV, because it requires the highest gaming skills and the highest social skills, but at least you know it exists.
    It’s still possible to sell lower difficulty content, but it’s usually in gils, not real money, the competition is way bigger, and the profits are way lower, and the prices drop quickly.

Something to be aware of is that Square Enix never mentioned yet if they will do Ultimate content in the next expansion (they announced so far pretty much every major things, but not any Ultimate), as it is a content that takes them some resources to build, and it’s only cleared in the end by 0.03% of players, it’s not 1%, not 0.1%, it’s 0.03%, so barely no one.
    I don’t think they’ll abandon making Ultimate, as it made them quite a lot of advertising (streaming only ever been that high for this game when it was the Ultimate races), maybe they’ll change their system or adjust the difficulty, or they didn’t announced them yet because they didn’t picked yet the next encounter and plan to release it later than 5.1 without changing the difficulty at all.

Hopefully I gave you some useful information, this bot is work of art, but making enough gils in this game to turn them into real money profit is not as easy or profitable as one could think in my opinion.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

I went through 3 different bots, and I only bot to get rid of the awful grinds that plague the game literally everywhere.

The dev(s) of this bot are really fair, as in, they don’t create tools to cheat, but rather to remove from the player the burden of the grinds

This is the whole point of any bot, actually: do something boring and tedious; something no player would ever be able to do for hours, because he just falls asleep from boredom. Bot, on the other hand, never gets tired, so this is where botter pops up: he lets other players have certain resources which require grind… in exchange for game currency (and thus real money). No more, no less – no cheats, no scams, just plain and simple repeating certain actions for hours, days and months.

So, I take it as there ARE some places/materials to grind for a decent profit, actually?

A genuine players, botting smartly, meaning monitoring the bot at all time while doing something else, working or playing another game, ready to intervene immediately when the situation requires, won’t get banned,

Well, this is the way I bot in any games, exactly. I might sleep near my working “farm”, but I’m always ready to get up in case some instance of the bot rings some kind of alarm.

This game was made so that it doesn’t create a lot of gils, there’s is plenty of gils sink everywhere to avoid inflation, and devs monitors carefully the amount of total gils in circulation to constantly adapt the gils created.

I do not aim for farming gil directly. Actually, it does not make any difference for me: if I look for a way to make killed mobs drop game currency directly, or rather for a way to make them drop some resources/materials and sell them on market once a day to receive game currency. In the end it boils down to the same thing: money received per hour, this way or that…

I don’t know if your goal is to sell them your gils, or if you want to sell yours directly to players, but if you want to sell to RMT, don’t count on 1.5$/M, divide that

No prob for me. As long as I farm (this way or that, once again, via grinding or via crafting – I use general meaning of “farm” here) about million gil per hour, I can sell it for $1 or even $0.5 each. That’s still quite decent profit, by my standards (assuming I can do it in many game windows at the same time).

This bot isn’t made (yet) to do what the RMT bot does, running MSQ with several char on its own to slowly collect very small amount of gils.

MSQ?

So if you want to win your gils from other players, rather than from NPC (MSQ, daily leves, etc.), crafting is the way to go, but you’ll need all your crafters at max level, and all your gatherers at max level,

Since both regular players using macros, and this bot users are widespread, the competition between crafters and gatherers never been that high.

4. The competition being high, and the way the market board works, lead to prices getting constantly undercut, so much, that all prices are very low, there’s more supply than demand. You make gils, but less than it used to be, 3-5 times less.

So income from crafting fluctuates a lot( right now we’re in the empty 5 month period before an expansion where the opportunities to make gils are the lowest), the competition is high, the undercutting is a plague pulling prices so low because to many casual players can craft end-game stuff now, and they just want small and fast profit.

After reading this I start to wonder… either I miss your point, or you miss mine. Look, there is situation where lots of players can take simple materials (which come from gatherers, right?) and convert them into useful items. It takes almost no time (or?); actually, it just takes leveling up some chars and training crafting skills/job. Lots of players do it, just because it’s FUN, right? This is why we get lots of competition, and price undercuts.

Though, gathering is just… running in circles and, well, gathering basic materials. It is NO FUN; I bet there are not that many players who would do it for hours on daily basis. So, why would I need to craft at all? Isn’t it more logical to make your botting toons to just run around and gather, then sell mats to crafters? There should not be much undercut in prices of simple mats, just because there should be not that many players who spend their time doing something that is not fun.

Well, of course this logic comes from other games… maybe it does not work in FFXIV, hehe.

7. There’s an ingame tax on everything you sell, it’s yet again another way to remove gils from the game

How high it is? Some 5%? That would be acceptable.

So in order to massively craft the new gear or housing items of a new patch, you need 3 char with all crafters geared and melded, and you might want to have them on different accounts, as you can’t easily transfer items between the same char of one service account, because you can’t make them friends, and you can’t log with them at the same time, so you’ll need to create a Free Company (equivalent to a guild) to use its chest to transfer items. Really unpractical when used constantly for that purpose.

This should not be too hard to handle… I did something alike in EVE. As long as I don’t get any bans, I can set up lots of accounts dedicated to certain specializations.

But since you talked about dedicating quite some time into this, there’s other ways to directly make real money.
    Last expansion they started to release a new level of raid difficulty, Ultimate, and so far only 0.03% of players managed to win those 2 Ultimate fights, making their loot the most wanted weapons and titles.

I guess I’ve seen something alike already… selling arena teams/arena ratings in WoW. Yes I know it brings lots of profit, but this is not a thing I am looking for. I do not want to play manually 🙂 I want my hardware and software to “play” for me.

Oh, and thank you, too – it was quite useful!

Arc
    Arc
    4+

Well, if Carl hasn’t answered your questions, I don’t know, who else could.

Just a quick side-note though:

Something to be aware of is that Square Enix never mentioned yet if they will do Ultimate content in the next expansion

Not quite correct. Here’s something, Yoshida said during an interview in November:

The truth is, we actually did have an Ultimate encounter planned for Patch 4.5. We had even started development on it, but we heard many players express that they were fatigued by “The Weapon’s Refrain (Ultimate),” possibly due to how intense the mechanics are. We think it’s a bit much to be putting fights like that out every second patch or so, and with that in mind, we decided to shift our resources into moving the next Ultimate encounter into Shadowbringers.

And also, during the Paris Fan Festival he was asked in an interview “Will there be new ultimate fights in Shadowbringers” and he answered surprisingly direct: “Of course. We already have started development for them a while ago.”

luluna
    Participant
    3+

Though, gathering is just… running in circles and, well, gathering basic materials. It is NO FUN; I bet there are not that many players who would do it for hours on daily basis. So, why would I need to craft at all? Isn’t it more logical to make your botting toons to just run around and gather, then sell mats to crafters? There should not be much undercut in prices of simple mats, just because there should be not that many players who spend their time doing something that is not fun.

Well, of course this logic comes from other games… maybe it does not work in FFXIV, hehe.

I’m not sure if this point has been brought up, but there are a few points that makes gil making difficult for simply gathering.

First, there is a limit to how much you can sell. In this game, you sell via retainers. Each retainer can have 20 listings for sale. I believe you can have up to 8-9 retainers, but any after the first two cost real money.

Second, demand is highly variable – as others have mentioned. It slows down notably during periods without new content. It only takes one or two others (remember, there will be other botters like yourself) to undercut the value of an item to oblivion. Lets take one of the most annoyingly gathered items as an example. Elemental crystal and shards are needed to craft items. Shards are a low level variant and there aren’t many good ways to far it besides manually. On a high demand day, a single fire shard might sell for 300 gil. On a low demand day with people aggressively undercutting, it might drop to 30 gil each. Once it drops that low, it would take at least a week to recover assuming people simply stopped listing.

In order to make good gil – you’ll need to reliably identify items of high demand and low supply – and hope another botter does not start an undercutting war. You’ll need to optimize your retainers by keeping their supply topped off and prices low. This is where passively playing will be difficult. In the example I gave with the shards, once I enter the market, it only takes a day or two for the value to tank so much that it is no longer worth my time.

Third – kind of trivial, but worthy of note. You need to progress through the game to certain points in order to have full access to items you can gather. Certain areas are locked out based on your progress. You can pay for to jump (jump potions that allow you to skip the stories up-through Heavensward, the second expansion) to the start of the most current expansion, but you will need to play the game till at least the end of base Stormblood (there are addon content, but you don’t need those to gather).

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  luluna.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.