[Request] Blue Crab Farming

Forum Forums Grids and Presets [Request] Blue Crab Farming

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Lyfox Lyfox 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

mbside
    Participant

Does anyone have a scenario for farming Blue Crabs for the new CUL recipes, or is there a more simplistic method of using the fishing interface that people are using for it instead?

shallowsteve
    shallowsteve
    Participant

The ideal way to get blue crabs without wasting more gil than the squid strips are worth is to not hook later than 10 seconds, unfortunately miqo doesnt support that style of fishing, and I don’t know enough about scenarios to know if that’s a thing that can be managed that way.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

If you run a white scrip scenario you dont waste a single gil on squid strips.

mbside
    Participant

yeah squid strips arent an issue i can farm them for free, i just dont use the fishing interface i usually use a fishing scenario when i use fisher. what settings would i check off in this case for blue crabs if you dont mind me asking?

malarkey
    malarkey
    Participant

Afaik blue crabs only need the squid strips so you should only need to set your bait and fish until they sense something is amiss. Then just navigate to fish in another spot and go back to reset.

While it can be used for basic fishing the fishing scenario stuff is more aimed towards the specialty fish with funky requirements like time of day, weather, mooching, swapping baits for shadows, etc.

Nekro
    Nekro
    Participant

mbside
    Participant

You are too kind, i will update you on your post with comments on usage. Thank you very much!

shallowsteve
    shallowsteve
    Participant

You’re missing the point I was making. It’s not a matter of white scrips, it’s what actually has value and sells on your server.

CBH shows around 60% rate for blues, however that number is likely skewed by people resetting their hook if it goes ten seconds to avoid hooking anything that isn’t a blue. Even still, assuming that’s accurate, if squid strips are selling for 1.5k, while blues are 3.5k, that small bit of profit isn’t worth the time of fishing over continuing to farm and sell squid strips, then buying blues outright.

The scenario is extremely flawed, not because of the scenario, but because of the limitations of miqo. Not being able to force a hook regardless of having caught a fish, nor being able to selectively double hook a fish based on time, just having no timing options at all, it’s just an unfortunate consequence of the dev team not being able to work on all the things at all the times.

Nekro
    Nekro
    Participant

During testing, I found the rate for blues with squid to be around 30%. Of course this can be different for a lot of reasons on CBH, as you mentioned being that people reset their hooks or using identical cast to guarantee the next fish to be bluecrab aswell.

However, if you want to save gil and/or don’t want to be dependent on the market, I think it’s still better to just fish them yourself. Also this increases your emotional bonding, which results in gathering materia, which of course could sell really good aswell.

Anyway, the scenario could be way better, if I could use timing options and/or identical cast options for hook and double hook, yeah.
    For the bait thing, I think using the versatile lure for longer periods of time might work, too. So you don’t use a lot of bait. I might test this, when I have nothing to do in ffxiv. Maybe the rates aren’t that bad in practice.

Nekro
    Nekro
    Participant

So I did let miqo run for some time with the versatile lure. And I came to at least some results.

For every 30 minutes fishing interval:

63 Fish -  5 Crabs ( 7.9%)
    70 Fish -  7 Crabs (10.0%)
    65 Fish - 10 Crabs (15.4%)
    ---------------------------
    66 Fish -  6 Crabs ( 9.1%) (without Snagging)
    68 Fish -  3 Crabs ( 4.4%) (without Snagging)

So I think it’s kinda ok to say, that the rate for bluecrabs with versatile lure is around 10% with the Scenario setup. I just lost 1 bait during those 5 intervals. Not the most efficient thing to do, but you basically don’t need to farm anything for it to run.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

Even still, assuming that’s accurate, if squid strips are selling for 1.5k, while blues are 3.5k, that small bit of profit isn’t worth the time of fishing over continuing to farm and sell squid strips, then buying blues outright.

Prices change everyday. Ive seen 0.5k and 6.0k yesterday.
    Dont get me wrong i agree that better tools would be more efficient. But i dont see a problem with using the existing ones either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.