Question about melds

Forum Forums Discussion Question about melds

This topic contains 42 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Gray Gray 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

bigboy54
    Participant

I never got into melding my gear since shb was almost released and now that my gathers are 80 I’d like to meld my gear o bought a full set of crafted gear level 80 both sides and weapons and was wondering what I should aim for in melds? For gathering only!

HalfDisabled
    Participant
    3+

The Balance theorycrafting discord has tentatively tagged THIS as the ‘optimal’ meld if you’re going full overmelding. For right now though you can totally survive off of much cheaper melds. Watch what you can afford and I imagine the level 8 materia are going to get cheaper by the day (on my server they’ve been dropping in price 100k a day) until new content comes out.

bigboy54
    Participant

I was just looking to fill the slots that are already on the gear not get into all that overmelding! Would like a mix of all 3 stats be alright?

HalfDisabled
    Participant
    1+

As far as cheap melding goes, if you’re wearing the current crafted gear you likely have enough GP to survive with for now and can mainly ignore it. As people do the math a rotation that requires 750 will likely emerge, or 800 but that would likely require overmelding and food to be workable. If you aim to get your perception/gathering roughly equal with maybe a little more toward perception and you’ll probably be fine. I’ve got relatively cheap melds going so I’m around 1894 gathering/1934 perception and got myself to 750 gp and it seems to work just fine for everything I’ve tried to gather so far.

bigboy54
    Participant

As far as cheap melding goes, if you’re wearing the current crafted gear you likely have enough GP to survive with for now and can mainly ignore it. As people do the math a rotation that requires 750 will likely emerge, or 800 but that would likely require overmelding and food to be workable. If you aim to get your perception/gathering roughly equal with maybe a little more toward perception and you’ll probably be fine. I’ve got relatively cheap melds going so I’m around 1894 gathering/1934 perception and got myself to 750 gp and it seems to work just fine for everything I’ve tried to gather so far.

thank you! ill try and aim for those stats 🙂

HalfDisabled
    Participant
    1+

Don’t take it as a hard limit or anything, I literally just grabbed the materia I had on hand and dumped what seemed good into my gear! Most of my materia is Tier 6 stuff with the rare tier 8 I was given for free thrown in.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

The Balance theorycrafting discord has tentatively tagged THIS as the ‘optimal’ meld if you’re going full overmelding.

Dunno who made this “optimal” meld – some billionaire or smth… but pentamelding WHITE eq (which we will throw away in some 5 days or so, once the first raid patch with green crafted stuff is out) with materia V and VI is utter bullshit. Basically, there are two or maybe three ways to meld, depending on rotation:

1, cheap) 700 GP + enough gathering to have 85% chance to dig 80* unspoileds (that’s 1830 gathering or so) + the rest into perception + Coffee Biscuit; rotation: Sharp II -> Discerning -> Impulsive -> Discerning/Single -> Impulsive -> Discerning/Single -> Methodical. This way you get 2 to 4 collectables of average collectability 483 from 6-“charge” node.

2, expensive) 850 GP + as much gathering as possible + Peppered Popotoes; rotation: Sharp I -> Discerning -> Methodical -> Single -> Methodical -> Single -> Methodical -> Utmost -> Methodical. You get guaranteed 3 collectables of average collectability 517 from 6-“charge” node.

The rest variants I managed to google were worse that these two. In theory, 4x Instinctual should bring more collectability (at average) than 4x Methodical; practically, though, here and there you will receive unlucky collectables of less that 470, which will clutter your inventory, as Miqo can’t destroy them nor lower their quality to normal and stack them. On the long run (overnight) most probably it will cause “inventory full” break, so I’d rather pass.

Skyrior
    Participant
    4+

Incorrect. Next tier of gathering/crafting gear will come out in 5.1 (not 5.01), not five days later. Also color has nothing to do with whether it’s good; Ala Mhigan was white.

Furthermore, next tier of crafted combat green gear will come out in 5.05, not 5.01.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Skyrior.
    LutBot
    LutBot
    Participant

Incorrect. Next tier of gathering/crafting gear will come out in 5.1 (not 5.01), not five days later. Also color has nothing to do with whether it’s good; Ala Mhigan was white.

Furthermore, next tier of crafted combat green gear will come out in 5.05, not 5.01.

I love how some people keep assuming we’ll be getting new DoL/DoH sets in 5.01 Lol This isnt the first I hear of it either. Oh well, let them play catch up I guess.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Then I wonder why does everyone started to buy materia right now like crazy 😛 Guess they think they will have to craft (and thus meld) new gathering gear tomorrow! hehehe

Besides, this topic was mostly about melds. I’m kind of surprised: everyone agreed that there are just two worthy setups mentioned above, with no objections?

LutBot
    LutBot
    Participant

Then I wonder why does everyone started to buy materia right now like crazy 😛 Guess they think they will have to craft (and thus meld) new gathering gear tomorrow! hehehe

Besides, this topic was mostly about melds. I’m kind of surprised: everyone agreed that there are just two worthy setups mentioned above, with no objections?

Because they are melding the white sets..? Lol Also the majority of the player base sees Gil as a disposable resource so they dont normally hoard it. We’ll be using these white sets for a good white.. 3 months at least.

Also if your aim with BTN/MNR is solely to gather collectables then lvl70 Gear (Onishi) iand some food perhaps is plenty enough to get minimum collectability off the new legendary nodes.

Skyrior
    Participant

Well, the worthy setup is so ridiculously expensive I fail to see how you’ll get a higher return on investment unless you’re literally botting 24/7 until 5.1. So no, I don’t think those setups are great either. However, they’re listed because that is the absolute BiS (best-in-slot) gear you can get currently (the 2084 gathering is actually picked meticulously in order to hit the 2083 gathering breakpoint for 95% chance of Lv 80 0-star nodes). Doesn’t mean it’s a good investment.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

We’ll be using these white sets for a good white.. 3 months at least.

You mean there will be 3 months until patch 5.1 which is supposed to add new gathering gear?? For real, no kidding?…

Also if your aim with BTN/MNR is solely to gather collectables then lvl70 Gear (Onishi) iand some food perhaps is plenty enough to get minimum collectability off the new legendary nodes.

You mean Yamashi (as Onishi is crafting set)? Nah, Swallowskin set is far superior to Yamashi… it’s not that hard to create the set itself – what I disagree with is melding it with materia VIII. However, if we REALLY aren’t getting any new stuff during the next two weeks or so, I’ll prolly consider it… as soon as prices drop low enough, of cos.

2084 gathering is actually picked meticulously in order to hit the 2083 gathering breakpoint for 95% chance of Lv 80 0-star nodes)

Well, problem is: 4 out of 6 white unspoiled nodes are 1-star… any idea how much gathering you need to reach 95% there?

uwu
    Participant
    1+

2182/2182 gets you to 95/15 on 1*

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

2182/2182 gets you to 95/15 on 1*

No Shit Sherlock 🙁 so it’s next to impossible to collect 2182 gathering AND 850 GP at the same time, using our current white set…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.