Philosophical aspects of automated gameplay

Forum Forums Discussion Philosophical aspects of automated gameplay

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Arc Arc 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    4DDCom
    4DDCom
    Participant

Maybe this could be the thread for further discussion About principles, reasons and Advantages of botting and the usage of Miqobot

zgo63925
    Participant

Uh huh.

Nirvana Flame
    Nirvana Flame
    Participant
    1+

As I see it, as long as you’re not toxic to your community I don’t really care about the method you use to get through. This naturally stops at doing stuff that isn’t humanly possible, for example porting around, increasing speed and stuff like that.

I see no harm in getting assistance where you need it to focus on stuff that you enjoy more.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

I’m not sure it it works, but I’d rather see a voting pool rather than simple thread (not sure if forum engine supports it, though). I.e. I’d like to know how many Miqo users use it [mostly] for gathering, how many for grinding mobs, how many for fishing, for crafting, for squadrons, for gaining advantage in dungeons, etc, etc, whatever Miqo can do. This way it could be easier to realize what does majority of people actually demand. Not that I believe in democracy within a commercial project but… worth a try?

Arc
    Arc
    1+

Well, I’ll start elaborating on how I bot and why I bot:

1. Crafting:
    When it comes to crafting, it is simple. I have currently Best in Slot gear, minus the melds on tools and the last slot on accessories. With that I can easily craft anything that exists in this game and it is not a challenge anymore. All, Miqobot does, is relieving me from that unnecessary button press every 30 seconds to start the next macro and I can do something else, instead of wasting my time with something that I will succeed in 100% of the time with 0% chance of failure and zero amount of effort put in, besides an annoying button press.

Gold Saucer farming:
    I already played and won every minigame in the Gold Saucer. Chocobo Racing is a faceroll for me, because I have a Chocobo with max stats, max pedigree and a super-sprint build, so Chocobo racing also only consists of starting the race, pressing one button and always winning by default. So grinding MGP is just a boring timesink, which is why I let Miqo do that for me, while I have better stuff to do.

3. Combat assist
    I only use combat assist in Eureka and maybe Palace of the Dead, when I’m playing Redmage. Redmage in my opinion is the most boring, but at the same most efficient job for playing these two kinds of content. On top of that, those two contents are the most repetitive grind every and I’d like to preserve my controller buttons, which is why I let Miqo do this grindy rotation spam in these two situations.

4. Farming materials from timed nodes
    I could also do this easily myself, but it is annoying to teleport to an area, mine a node for a few hits, wait 10 minutes and repeat. Either way I’m getting my mats and that can also be done by Miqo, instead of having to take my attention for 30 seconds every 10 minutes.

Other than that I don’t use Miqo for any other feature.

zgo63925
    Participant
    1+

TL;DR

While I like combat and gear progression I’m not a fan of timesyncs, I want to stay ahead of the curve and still maintain IRL.
    So I automatically gather, farm, craft. Mostly never unattended, I just do it while cooking, working out, watching shows.
    If you consider how much time it saved me to level my crafters its a no brainer, I wouldn’t have ever done it manually.

flintrucker
    Participant

Well, I’ll start elaborating on how I bot and why I bot:

1. Crafting:
    When it comes to crafting, it is simple. I have currently Best in Slot gear, minus the melds on tools and the last slot on accessories. With that I can easily craft anything that exists in this game and it is not a challenge anymore. All, Miqobot does, is relieving me from that unnecessary button press every 30 seconds to start the next macro and I can do something else, instead of wasting my time with something that I will succeed in 100% of the time with 0% chance of failure and zero amount of effort put in, besides an annoying button press.

Gold Saucer farming:
    I already played and won every minigame in the Gold Saucer. Chocobo Racing is a faceroll for me, because I have a Chocobo with max stats, max pedigree and a super-sprint build, so Chocobo racing also only consists of starting the race, pressing one button and always winning by default. So grinding MGP is just a boring timesink, which is why I let Miqo do that for me, while I have better stuff to do.

3. Combat assist
    I only use combat assist in Eureka and maybe Palace of the Dead, when I’m playing Redmage. Redmage in my opinion is the most boring, but at the same most efficient job for playing these two kinds of content. On top of that, those two contents are the most repetitive grind every and I’d like to preserve my controller buttons, which is why I let Miqo do this grindy rotation spam in these two situations.

4. Farming materials from timed nodes
    I could also do this easily myself, but it is annoying to teleport to an area, mine a node for a few hits, wait 10 minutes and repeat. Either way I’m getting my mats and that can also be done by Miqo, instead of having to take my attention for 30 seconds every 10 minutes.

Other than that I don’t use Miqo for any other feature.

Just going to +1 on this — while I haven’t completed everything I wanted to complete, I am using Miqobot to cover for the grindier portions of the game. Arc covers it super well on what I use it to cover for as well.

To be honest, I don’t really know how productive this thread is going to be, considering how we actually ended up in this topic. Just to add two more cents from the previous discussion, I don’t think any of the functions that Miqobot has spent their time on has been useless at all. In fact, all of them are so wonderfully great that I can’t think of anything to complain about at all. If they simply keep up with pure maintenance on the core functions, they can take my 10 USD every single month without any complaints.

(of course, level 80 combat assist is my preferred thing to work on just because sometimes I get too tired to grind dungeons out, so I’d love to be able to put that on in higher level dungeons too, but that’s just me :P)

zgo63925
    Participant
    2+

they can take my 10 USD every single month without any complaints.

I’ve spend more on less. For 10€ I probably saved myself already over 150hours of grind time in a month.

flintrucker
    Participant
    1+

I’ve spend more on less. For 10€ I probably saved myself already over 150hours of grind time in a month.

Amen man.

Arc
    Arc
    1+

Amen, my friend. I’ve already spent 10 bucks on a barely working Viper Bot for ESO and it’s utter trash compared to Miqo n FFXIV, not to mention, that the Viper Bot community is trash. Almost no one (except for me) provides gathering grids, there are only years old, crappy, convoluted tutorials for it and it’s honestly a pure mess.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    2+

Ive been playing with Miqo for a long time and honestly cant name a single feature that wasnt useful. Gathering and crafting systems are superb and creating your own navigation grids is a lot of fun. MGP grinding features gave me everything i wanted from Gold Saucer. Leveling with Squadron Dungeons saved so much time that ive almost managed to catch up with the rest of my life and even play other games. Have you tried flying a plane in San Andreas? God the physics in that game is pure bliss. The atmosphere of Soma, the epicness of NieR, the charm of Ori, the awe of Witness. I would never know those things were it not for Miqo giving me so much time and space.

And while doing all the boring stuff she somehow managed to bring new gameplay to my FFXIV experience. Legendary Fishing became so exciting that i even skipped a whole raid tier. Learning weather conditions, calculating fish windows, and then designing a scenario for Miqo to activate at precise moment and execute the correct bait sequence is incredibly fun. And when you wake up in the morning to find a shiny legend in your inventory its the most rewarding feeling ever.

When Miqo finished all my jobs to 70 and geared them in Rakshasa i was kinda lost at first. I tried playing those jobs but it felt really weird. I looked at theorycrafting diagrams and couldnt understand them. Almost every guide was talking about deep optimization techniques with just a few tiny bits on basics.

But then Combat Assist came along and it changed everything. I launched Miqo on a striking dummy and suddenly it all started to make sense. Watching the rotation in practice for one hour taught me a lot more than several days of reading diagrams and guides. And even the fact that Assist Mode is not complete yet wasnt a problem. As i grasped the basics figuring out the rest of 60-70 skills was very easy. Now i can literally take any job and pull out top performance in any raid instance with my bare hands. Finally after several years of onetricking i can choose what to play and even help my friends to learn. Assist Mode brought my game to a whole new level. Now im skilled enough to play without it but i still like to launch Miqo from time to time and simply enjoy the fight without my eyes glued to the hotbar.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Well… as I’m a newbie (just 7 weeks of playing FFXIV), I doubt my voice counts for a lot, but still… I play FFXIV much the same way I’ve played everything before. While the game is new to me (and thus fun), I do lots of things manually. For example, I’ve leveled my first DoW class to 70 manually only, because combat is a thing I play for. And yes, combat in FFXIV is complicated, and thus fun! Though, I’m not really a patient person, so I’m using bot for grinding DoL skills up to 70. DoH skills are fun while you seek for an optimal sequence and solidify it in form of script, then it becomes boring again, so I just let scripts handle it from that moment… until 5 more levels and next craft. Maybe it changes when I gather enough scrips and unlock master recipes, though.

Arc
    Arc

Master recipes are pretty difficult to do manually and the macros used for those are usually somewhere in the 50 skill sequences long, which is where Miqo really shines.
    A small protip for you by the way, if you’re still lacking scrips (and haven’t done this yet): Do your Custom Deliveries every week. The NPCs from which you can choose 2 to deliver to every week are Z’hloe and Adkiragh in Idyllshire, M’Naago in Rhalgr’s Reach and Kurenai in Tamamizu (you gotta unlock those via a blue quest). It’s easily around 1668-2988 yellow crafter scrips you can get, by just spending around 5-10 minutes per week and almost no gil costs (the worst you can pay is 14k gil, the best is 3000).

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Do your Custom Deliveries every week.

Yea, I’ve considered this idea, but the problem is: I don’t have many enough weeks 🙁 I want to learn everything about crafting and gathering before ShB is released, and I want to be among the first players who get their DoH skills up to 80 once it’s released (for obvious reasons). Well anyway, all my DoL skills are 70 now, I’m building up my set of gathering grids, so it should be ok rather soon, even without deliveries 🙂 Still, thanks for advice!

zgo63925
    Participant

But then Combat Assist came along and it changed everything. I launched Miqo on a striking dummy and suddenly it all started to make sense. Watching the rotation in practice for one hour taught me a lot more than several days of reading diagrams and guides. And even the fact that Assist Mode is not complete yet wasnt a problem. As i grasped the basics figuring out the rest of 60-70 skills was very easy. Now i can literally take any job and pull out top performance in any raid instance with my bare hands. Finally after several years of onetricking i can choose what to play and even help my friends to learn. Assist Mode brought my game to a whole new level. Now im skilled enough to play without it but i still like to launch Miqo from time to time and simply enjoy the fight without my eyes glued to the hotbar.

I so much agree here, on new classes I usually run miqo and watch the keyinputs to understand the rotations, easiest way to learn a new class. The only class I always run miqo on is bard cuase it’s flawless.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.