Got scammed – Reaching out to you guys

Forum Forums Discussion Got scammed – Reaching out to you guys

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Vesterbro 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

shadowrun
    Participant

Firstly to the moderators and admins, please delete my thread if this forbidden. I just didn’t know what else to do.

I have been using the bot for a few months now and I have been super happy with its performance. And I never overindulge and make sure I always supervise the bot. Use it mostly for MGP and some leveling.

However yesterday I made the awful mistake of leaving a script for trying to buy a house, and when someone else got it they put a retainer and retainer-scammed me out of all my gil.

I of course understand the risks involved in doing this and I am not asking for any charity, but if you happen to need a mogstation item, I’d be happy to gift it to you for some gil in an attempt to recoup some of my losses.

Please add me to my discord if you are interested, Rangor#5189.

Once again my deepest apologies if this is not allowed, and please delete the post if so. I am just doing this as last ditch effort.

Edib
    Participant
    5+

you didn’t get scammed you got played, hubris for you not watching your bot periodically. I’ve done the same when I bought a house and people bought everything off my retainer for 20mil.

shadowrun
    Participant

That’s another way to put it, nevertheless the loss of millions of gil still hurts lol ^^

Vixen
    Vixen
    Participant
    4+

Someone else recently posted their own thread about this exact thing, although they didn’t ask anyone for help like you did. You can see in the replies though what exactly the community tends to think about this sort of thing, and about calling it a “scam” too.

More relevantly, I’m pretty sure that mogstation items are all non-tradable, which means you’d have to send someone a gift code for it. That would come across as a bit more suspicious – someone registers a gift code for an item, and then suddenly trades or mails a bunch of gil to someone they’ve never met? I don’t know if SE is logging things in that level of detail or if they’re looking through the logs with that level of paranoia, but it’s something to consider.

At its core, what you’re doing here is RMT, which is a bit more significant than botting. There’s going to be greater risk, and if SE finds out, there will be official consequences for everyone involved.

Have you considered maybe at least adding some kind of in-game service as a cover that you can slightly overcharge for? If you’ve got high-level crafters or gatherers, that’s a simple enough option, particularly when gathering might be tedious enough for someone to pay another person for it. Alternatively, hunting mobs for drops is another possibility. Basic money laundering, you know?

Andylynyn
    Participant
    1+

Basic money laundering, you know?

This had me in stitches.
    Such a funny phrase to see in here, god.. It got me good, thank you.

Xion
    Participant

Sucks for you OP but I can’t help but laugh.
    You got played. I don’t know what you’re expecting from us.

How so?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  Xion.
    Vixen
    Vixen
    Participant
    1+

I mean, I basically told OP to use some basic (actual) money-laundering practices for the gil involved in the RMT that they’re talking about in their first post, and I didn’t think much of it but honestly suggesting that someone become An Actual Money Launderer in fuckin Final Fantasy Fourteen Online is pretty funny now that they mentioned it

Andylynyn
    Participant

Sucks for you OP but I can’t help but laugh.
    You got played. I don’t know what you’re expecting from us.

How so?

It was just a funny way of viewing things? If you don’t get it you don’t. I just found it funny.

Xion
    Participant

It was just a funny way of viewing things? If you don’t get it you don’t. I just found it funny.

It’s funny cause they were stating a fact? ok. you do you.

Andylynyn
    Participant
    1+

It’s funny cause they were stating a fact? ok. you do you.

So facts can’t be funny?

Fun Fact: They can. 😉

Arc
    Arc

Firstly to the moderators and admins, please delete my thread if this forbidden. I just didn’t know what else to do.

First of all, I don’t think this topic is forbidden in any way. Unless Miqobot themselves say so it’s alright and there’s no need for deletion.

However yesterday I made the awful mistake of leaving a script for trying to buy a house, and when someone else got it they put a retainer and retainer-scammed me out of all my gil.

As others have pointed out, you didn’t get scammed, but you leaving Miqobot unattended got exploited. This is a risk you always have to bear in mind when using the bot.

I of course understand the risks involved in doing this and I am not asking for any charity, but if you happen to need a mogstation item, I’d be happy to gift it to you for some gil in an attempt to recoup some of my losses.

This is pretty risky, as GMs might possibly see this as a form of RMT.

Instead of doing so, my personal advice would be to organically recuperate your losses with Miqobot. There are multiple ways of doing so:
    1. If you have Botanist & Miner on max level you can run an infinite diadem scenario and let it farm tier 4 materials over an entire day (18 hours)(do not leave the game unattended). You can sell both the materials you farm, as well as the items you can buy with skybuilders’ scrips (from my experience the glamour gear is the most profitable). One day of Diadem can easily get you a couple million gil back.
    2. If you have some gil left, and you have a couple of crafters on max level you can buy materials for and craft exarchic gear to sell on the MB. Those pieces still sell. Aiming towards multi-job gear (like tank, healer, ranged or caster gear) is also a good idea
    3. An often underestimated option is to let Miqobot run trust dungeons over a day (not unattended). You can sell the dungeon gear at the NPC for a bit of gil, and most trust dungeons drop minions that can sell for quite a lot of gil (Holminster Switch’s Hayate minion sells for somewhere between 200-300k gil for example).

Vesterbro
    Participant
    3+

Never have all your gil on your character. If your buying a house have around the price it costs and put rest on a retainer. Then this can not happen

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.