Desynthesis Question

Forum Forums Discussion Desynthesis Question

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  flintrucker 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Ok, look at it from newcomer’s PoW. He (me) comes during SB and levels up his char to 60+. Once MSQ is done through lvl60 dungeons, basically he has no real need to return to this older content. Now, he wants to train desynth… so he starts daily roulettes. Sometimes he gets trown into lvl50-lvl60 instances, sometimes into lvl20 or lvl55 (which do NOT bring needed loot/tomestones). So, basically, he collects a heap of mixed lvl50, 60 and 70 green/blue items. He collects them for goddamn MONTHS (because he needs 20-40 items of each “tier” to even start training desynth). Finally he decides that he has enough, desynths everything, trains desynth up to 300 and… realizes that these months were wasted for nothing. I mean, really, what do you gain from these roulettes? Exp? You know how easily can it be gained via squadrons – WAY easier than via dungeons. Loot? You don’t really need outdated stuff (unless for desynth). Do you know any other reason to consider this time NOT wasted?

flintrucker
    Participant

I feel like whenever I read these players vs professional botters posts, you guys are trying to communicate about what makes a great game but with different methods, but Gary is always talking about it from a min-maxer-speedrun perspective while Carl and Arc are coming from the journey and experience of the game.

That’s two very different things to be comparing notes on.

@Gary: I think the most important thing to remember is very few of us here are actually rushing to finish everything and be the very best in the game for a very specific goal. We are just enjoying it (flaws including) and if being extremely efficient isn’t worthwhile in terms of personal enjoyment, we do other stuff that is going to be less efficient than that one proven best method. It was never about being efficient about things — we are just here to enjoy the journey of the game.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  flintrucker.
    Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

I understand it, yes… though, this way game devs could as well just forget about any balance. “It’s worthwhile in terms of personal enjoyment, so ppl will do it anyway, so who cares about balance?”

Or… is this actually the way they deliberately chose to go?

flintrucker
    Participant

I think that’s the thing — it isn’t a complete toss out in balance since neither of us is power leveling desynthesis. New players like me and old players like Carl finds that function completely fine as it is. As mentioned by the other more regular members of this forum, SE focuses on players that enjoy the on-and-off route (as noted by Yoshida talking about how he never intends for his players to sub to FFXIV continuously for years). And that’s always going to be the focus for FFXIV’s development team.

Don’t get me wrong, if you find this unfitting for your purposes on making gil then it probably isn’t. It is sort of like how there is a very specific method of power leveling with dungeons vs POTD vs squadron, but some people will choose what is slightly less inefficient depending on their enjoyment of the task.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

“slightly” is the keyword… Neither of these ways to level up require any investments – unlike desynth. And it’s not like leveling desynth up to 300 is just “slightly” harder than staying at 80…

flintrucker
    Participant

lol logistics dude. As Carl mentioned, the current purpose of desynthesis is to reduce item wastage/bloating in game. So players don’t feel like they are just tossing trash out (since some items can’t be turned into GC and even then you might have maxed out on that). While it does get profitable from time to time because that’s how FFXIV works, it wasn’t going to be something that you grind so you can make an immediate profit. Mostly this is because there were outrages by the community previously, but I won’t delve too much in history. So it is very unlikely SE will go backwards and do something for desynthesis anytime soon.

There are other ways to make gil at the moment, do that instead.

Perhaps I should have used the analogy of this being like using FATE to grind for levels. :p

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.