Desynthesis Question

Forum Forums Discussion Desynthesis Question

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  flintrucker 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

AirForceOne
    Participant

Is there a way to avoid desynthesizing items with a job you don’t want to level desynthesis for? For example, say I want to desynth all the loot I have after running a dungeon a couple of times, but I don’t want to desynthesize anything that uses armorsmith cause I don’t have it/want it leveled up. Can I do that? Or do I have to manually get rid of those items before I start desynthesis up?

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

Delete the names you dont want to desynthesize and overwrite the preset.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

I’ve got a desynthesis question too, so I’d hijack this thread (as it’s answered anyway) for a rather… general metaproblem question.

It’s common for various games to have some easy-to-enter content (which brings low profits) as well as heavily walled content (which promises heaps of gold). This is kind of logical, so once I enter hell, pass it and emerge on the other side, I expect… well, some [decent] rewards. Now admit it: a) the primary purpose and goal of desynthesis is demimateria farm, and b) maxing desynthesis is quite a PIECE OF HELL. Ok, the first wall (lvl50) is rather easy: first you craft some ilvl55 green stuff (any skill has at least one rather easy/cheap piece, I bet), then you craft (or even buy for gil) several ilvl70 items, and then at desynthesis 80 you can already desynthese ilvl115 crafted stuff from HW (it will fail sometimes, but it does not matter as it’s cheap as dirt anyway). Then comes another wall, way bigger one (lvl60): at first you craft lots of 60* stuff until you reach desynth 170-175, then you waste lots of time farming scrips to turn them in for ilvl180 blue stuff (or rather lots of time doing PVP for other ilvl180 stuff), then you waste even more time farming tomestones in random lvl60 dungeons like an idiot, just to receive lots of ilvl200 stuff, and then you can barely desynth ilvl255 crafts. Then you finally have desynth high enough to try to farm demimateria out of SB crafts… and then you realize that drop rate is much the same as from 50** stuff, just 70** stuff costs way more, so it simply does not worth it.

So you start to ponder: what was the friggin point to spend lots and lots and lots of hours training that goddamned desynth, if you can get everything worthy (i.e. have highest profit per hour) outta 50** crafts, having desynth at just 80 or so???

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Gray Gray.
    Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

Its a question about game design. Desynthesis is just another kind of achievement. Whether you want it or not is up to you.

VanGuard
    VanGuard
    Participant

Desynthesis is hit or miss depending on the server your on and timeframe your using it for good consistent profits. For example at the beginning of updates or expansions there are basic new items you can buy from vendors and desyn for huge profits. (Ex. Twinsilk was going for 30-50k in the very beginning of its release on some servers. You could buy a apron from a vendor for 13k and get twinsilk out of it. Lately there hasn’t been anything new released but come ShB I guarantee there will be.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

You didn’t get my point… Yes I believe it can bring some profit [for a short time, admit it], BUT! there are ways to gain the same or higher profits without as much troubles. For example, if you want to make profits out of twinsilk, you can just as well to put your char on twincoon harvesting for a night, which requires no effort and no money investments, just some botanist training (which takes WAY less effort than weaver desynth training). Demimateria, on the other hand, can’t be received from any other sources than desynthesis… So it looks like Lyfox is right: too bad the game design is so shitty – there is just no point to put that much effort into something that does not bring decent enough rewards for the troubles met.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

It all depends on the time period, this is another feature devs use for specific things at a specific time.
    They could use it for the rebuild of Ishgard, or for a step of ShB relics, etc.

When they do use it, you get massive profits if you’re ready, all levelled to the max.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

That’s the problem: it kind of sucks to spend millions of gil plus dozens of hours (worth some 300k gil/hour each) to just… sometimes “get massive profits”. I expected something better, TBH…

Arc
    Arc

Desynthesis is an inconsistent, but potentially extremely profitable business.

For example, at the beginning of an expansion the prices for battlecraft demimateria skyrocket, because you need those to craft these shiny, glowing primal weapons. Players love those and want them really badly. At the end of heavensward Battlecraft Demimateria III was selling for 5000 gil each. When Stormblood hit, the price skyrocketed to 200k a piece on the first day, because people bought the marketboard dry and there wasn’t enough supply.

The thing is, because it’s one of the most hellish features to level, almost no one does it, which is why you can make a huge buck at the start of an expansion with it. It also benefits normal players who do expert trials, because for example you could desynth Shinryu weapons and get Shinryu Scales from that which still sell for 900.000 gil each, because the only other way to get them is farming Shinryu Extreme, where 1 scale has a drop rate of about 10% and 8 players have to roll on it.

For constant and steady gil making it’s not profitable though, imho, since the prices for these items drop quite a bit over time.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

For example, at the beginning of an expansion the prices for battlecraft demimateria skyrocket, because you need those to craft these shiny, glowing primal weapons. Players love those and want them really badly. At the end of heavensward Battlecraft Demimateria III was selling for 5000 gil each. When Stormblood hit, the price skyrocketed to 200k a piece on the first day, because people bought the marketboard dry and there wasn’t enough supply.

Once again… either I somehow miss your point, or you fail to grasp mine. The reason of my butthurt was simple: you can obtain this BDIII (as well as FDIII) without even leveling desynth up to SB actual level (i.e. 300+)! And, if you do, you realize that getting it from desynth of old ARR items is way easier and cheaper than from desynth of endgame items (70*+). Moreover, you could have just hoarded this demimateria from the end of HW, and resold during the start of SB, having insane profits without ANY leveling of desynth (and we will repeat this trick during start of SBr, probably). Now I wonder if I should raise this discussion on the official forum, hehe… as this feature looks really unbalanced as it is now.

It also benefits normal players who do expert trials, because for example you could desynth Shinryu weapons and get Shinryu Scales from that which still sell for 900.000 gil each, because the only other way to get them is farming Shinryu Extreme, where 1 scale has a drop rate of about 10% and 8 players have to roll on it.

Here I have to agree, but the problem is: this is botting forum, right? Why would we care about normal players, hehe… what is important is to find ways to obtain gil (and $$, if needed) via desynth using bot. Miqo can’t participate in trials farming you Shinryu Scales via desynth, can it? Also, I’m afraid, occasional profit from these scales just won’t cover the cost of leveling desynth up to 300+ (which is millions and millions of gil even for a single DoH skill)…

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

Now I wonder if I should raise this discussion on the official forum, hehe… as this feature looks really unbalanced as it is now.

The thing you missed by wanting to report that to official forums to tell them it’s unbalanced, is that normal players, including us here, didn’t spent any gils to reach max level of desynth, we just played the game.

You reach those levels naturally by desynthesising the part of stuff you don’t need from loots, and you get tons of those. That feature was implemented to counter that waste.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

… which makes me to wonder HOW much time you’ve wasted running various instances, assuming that you need some 30-40 items of each tier (i.e. ilvl160, ilvl180, ilvl200 and so forth) to level up a single desynth! Now, if you take into account how seldom drop items of certain skills (say, carpenter, let alone alchemist)… I’d say you don’t even bring at least a single item to desynth from every 3 runs, hehe.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

I didn’t waste any time, I never went in those instances to level desynth, you just play the game and you get tons of those, all the time. Like I said, that feature was meant to have an alternative to turn in those gear to GC, so people stop to waste those loots.

You can only max out 3, picking BSM for weapons, GSM for accessories/weapons, and LTW for the rest of gear sets, and then you can desynth pretty much everything that drop.

The cap is raised several times at specific patch through the course of an expansion, and match the iLvl of drops. You just level them naturally, they made it so that you reach the cap right before they increase it again, by just playing the game normally, nothing fancy.

That feature is 5 year’s old now.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

I didn’t waste any time, I never went in those instances to level desynth, you just play the game and you get tons of those, all the time.

This is correct for just a single [small] part of playerbase: these who have played since beginning, since AAR. OTOH, from the point of view of someone who started to play during HW, going to AAR (lvl50) dungeons is waste of time: why would someone farm ilvl100 blues when (s)he can easily create ilvl115+ whities – which have better stats AND way easier to obtain? Likewise, from the PoW of someone who started during SB (me, for example) both AAR and HW instances are waste. This is why I say: necessity to visit outdated content just to gather long obsolete loot in order to train desynth is an extremely weird way to level up skill. Well, it would have been justified if there were great rewards for training it – but there are none, and this is a major game design flaw, IMHO.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

FFXIV take all players back to older content, all the time.

Players encounter that every day, they do their Roulettes, they’re taken back to older content. They work on their relic, they’re taken back to old content, etc.
    Those old content, are as alive as new ones through several systems in predictable pattern releases that smartly use them to continue to populate them for new players and diversity.

Players are more exposed to older loots than new ones.

It’s rewarding, you didn’t “play” long enough to know it. It was even rewarding when CUL could desynth rare fish you caught into rare floating minions, hell it was even rewarding to be the first craziest person to desynth an Ultimate weapon to show on Reddit what was hidden behind it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.