Chocobo Racing Recording Tips/Help

Forum Forums Discussion Chocobo Racing Recording Tips/Help

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Miqobot Miqobot 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dc0ke
    dc0ke
    Participant

Looking for some tips/tricks creating Chocobo Racing Maps:
    I spent about 2hrs yesterday creating a R-300 map for my racing chocobo (wins 1st thru 3rd place fairly consistently now). However, the process creating the map was a bit more tedious than expected. Any tips for streamlining the process would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my steps and notes:
    1) Ran some races with the “Record” function enabled. At first I tried to run it at full speed, but often times I ran a non-optimal route because of the speed / lathered status. For my final “Record” run, I ran it at a very medium pace and tried to get a smooth route.
    2) I noticed after switching on Miqobot, my chocobo was not jumping where I had recorded jumps to avoid obstacles. I had to crack open the presets file with a text editor and manually program in the jumps (Did I do something wrong here? Why weren’t my jumps recorded?)
    3) Trying to get a perfect run was taking not going well, so I decided to manually create my own route…
    4) Teleported to Sagoli Desert in S. Than, turned on the waypoints, and manually create a route by creating waypoints in the presets file. The new hand-crafted route works much better than my previous recorded attempts.
    5) I didn’t try recording a route in S. Than, with my normal mount (slower and much easier to control), but I would think this method might be another alternative to route creation, if you’re not getting the results you want recording your race attempts.

Miqobot Enhancement Suggestions:
    Easier Route Editor – Determining where the waypoints are for the chocobo path are very tedious and making manual edits involves a TON of reloading to get your path saved correctly. To aid in manual route creation, I’d suggest an option to enable “squares” and a connect the dot feature, just like how you’d create a gathering navigation path.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by dc0ke dc0ke.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by dc0ke dc0ke.
    Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

1) When i Record I always run slow and carefully. First 4-5 runs always go to waste because I am memorizing all the pads and chests and monsters.
    2) Not sure about the jumps. Im pressing spacebar and see a triangle pop on the track. How do you do it?
    3) You said it yourself – making it perfect is always tedious since its impossible to do everything right from the start. But whats 2 hours vs something perfect that will serve you for months to come?
    4) I teleport to S.Thanalan too. But instead of handicrafting I try to improve my recorded route by fixing mistakes. Moving jumps a little further, shifting left and right. After each adjustment I go back to the race and see how it plays.
    5) I tried doing manual record in S.Thanalan too. But it doesnt show chests and pads. So it doesnt work for me.

Devs already promised us a text editor: https://miqobot.com/forum/forums/topic/request-in-bot-editable-racing-waypoints/
    It will make me more than happy since I wont have to reload Miqo to apply changes.
    Connecting the dots would be nice but like I said manual creating doesnt work for me. Unless Miqo finds some way to miraculously freeze the race so I could see all the chests and draw the lines based on that. But i doubt its doable without hacking.

By the way Sagolii gives the smallest reward for the 1st place. Tranquil is the best. I assume it has something to do with length. As the most downtime is registering and waiting in Q you want to be 1st in Tranquil to maximize your income. In R180 I had
    Sagolii Road – 822 MGP
    Costa Del Sol – 863 MGP
    Tranquil Paths – 904 MGP

Another tip is to walk in snake lines when recording. For sections when there are no traps. If you stick to a straight line you might bump into someones bum. Doing that destroys your speed and cancels Sprint.

dc0ke
    dc0ke
    Participant

Thanks for the tips!

2) I realize I always play the game using a gamepad on my PC. That might be the reason why I’m not getting jumps recorded…
    5) I run an assisted race and take screenshots of any obstacles/jumps I need to avoid/make (I try to always gets waypoint% and position) in the screenshots)

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

2) Ah yes gamepad may be the reason. Maybe the devs can explain better.
    5) Thats very clever I didnt think about taking screenshots. Ill try doing it next time. Thanks for advice!

Maybe with screenshots the connecting dots method would work as well.

Miqobot
    Miqobot
    Keymaster

At the moment, we are considering three possible solutions for Chocobo Racing Editor.
    From simple to complex:

1. Text Editor.
      Will eliminate the need to restart Miqobot after each edit.
      But it is also the least intuitive method. It won’t be able to reflect changes on 3D Radar (at least not immediately). And it’s error prone.
    2. 3D Editor.
      Will allow to simply re-record a specific section of the track. Will eliminate the possibility of typo by maintaining the correct order of waypoints.
      On the bad side, it will require teleporting to race location to make even a simple edit (Southern Thanalan, Eastern La Noscea, or South Shroud).
    3. 3D Editor + Displaying Race Data.
      Will be able to show all possible chests, monsters, traps, and bonus pads outside of the race. Will eliminate the need to make screenshots to remember positions of the objects.
      This is the hardest option to implement, because it will require collecting a lot of data (for each possible Class, Course, and Challenge). And it will still require teleporting to race location.

We are implementing editors in this order, because each implementation is based on the previous one.

As for recording jumps with gamepad – sorry, Miqobot does not support gamepad. She recognizes only keyboard activity.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your review very much!
    It led us to several new ideas as to how to implement the Chocobo Racing Editor 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.