Asking the community: Thoughts on Open World Combat and User Protection

Forum Forums Discussion Asking the community: Thoughts on Open World Combat and User Protection

This topic contains 59 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by Arc Arc 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    blahblahblah
    blahblahblah
    Participant
    2+

Here are my toughts on the matter;

Automated MSQ – You can buy a skip. I personally don’t see a need for it. But maybe one day if I want to level alts (and since I’m already paying for Miqo) I might wanna use her for that. But as of right now it’s not needed.

Automated Quests – Not need, would be nice to clear out the mountain of side quests you get in the expac/with alts but isnt really something needed.

FATE Grind – Would be really nice for the Zeta relics, or if, god forbid, the Yokai event comes back. Handy too for the ShB unlocks, but is something that we can grind out with Assist turned on. It would be nice, but I would give it a low priority. Like, lower than Triple Triad πŸ˜›

Material Hunting – This I do want. Because it could then be added to crafting scenarios. We can use Assist to get the stuff like with fates, but it would be a nice QOL.

Eureka Support – This, like I said I for FATEs would be really nice for the grind. Since the content will be dead soon and we can guess a nerf will come to all the content in the zone it would be nice down the line for farming out relics. But I would say its a low priority like FATEs.

PVP – I know why Miqo doesn’t support it. It makes sense, but would only enabling it for the casual Frontlines daily be possible? Have it disabled for Wolfs Den, keep it out of Ranked PVP but have it usable for the causal content to take the tedium of those matches away?

If the idea is everything or nothing, I think option 2 would be the best.
    With open world content would combat leves not count too? I know I am in the minority but I would love to see leves and GC leves added (to farm out the achievements) if open world stuff is supported. And if open world is supported would that include maps?[that includes the Alexanderite Maps for Zeta] Soloing level 50/60 maps would be easy at this point. There are lot of open world things that could be added along with what was mentioned that people would want to see.

As for what I want the most right now;

Trust
      PotD/HoH support (combat support for 60 is mostly done I think and I assume it would work like squadrons)

Edit:I just read that MSQ is about 50% finished. if that’s the case I don’t see the point in scrapping it. It should just be a low priority feature.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by blahblahblah blahblahblah.
    Pain
    Pain
    Participant
    2+

So, I’m gonna chime in here, although I think some of my views may already be mirrored in other posts.

I use Miqo every day, why do i use it?What do i use it for? Well here is the top 3.

1: Automated Movement: I enjoy FF very much but it gets so tedious to take the same routes everywhere all the time. So, i make grids and scenarios that will let me send my character off to whatever pre-detemined destination i wish with a click of a button, while i go get a soda or whatever. This is often to the summoning bell, to GC or to repair.

2:MIN/BTN: All of it.. because it is once more, tedious and mind numbing to go over the same 3 paths 1000 times just to grind for ore/wood.

3:Combat Assist: One more time.. to offset the tedious nature of the game(especially after the new combat system and they dumbed down every class). I use the combat assist in 2 scenarios; 1) During the travel phase of dungeons when ur dealing with trash mobs and nothing serious is happening. Then i turn it off for bosses and enjoy the real fun of the dungeon. 2)Overworld mob farming. I set up a grid of where the enemies spawn, leave nav-view up and use it like a pathfinder while combat assist kills off anything i hit tab on. This makes it really easy to lean back and just farm.

That’s it really. The obvious theme here is to use the bot to offset the tedious nature and aspects of the game, not to gain an overwhelming unfair advantage. I don’t look at miqo as a bot, i look at Miqo as an assistant. Something i can give an order to and it does the task, then stops and waits for my next order.

Now: What would i like to see next in miqo?
    -Scenarios list organization ability.
    -Global counter on the side to indicate progress of the various tasks. Such as loop index… (Ex: 32/35 dungeons run. 24/100 gathering attempts done)
    -Ability to tweak the timing of skills in Combat assist. Personally i would like succor to happen more when 4+people are within range.
    -FOV setting. I run on multiple monitors and i run the game across those, which requires hacking the FOV to fit. ATM i use a diff tool for this but it is a simple thing really and would allow me to stop using that tool.
    -Global Pause for Chat… i say again… GLOBAL PAUSE FOR CHAT. I don’t just set miqo to go do things and ignore it, walk off and let it do whatever… i sit there, watch a show and watch miqo do her thing. As such, when someone talks or emotes me, i enjoy talking back to them and an auto-pause for chat, like what is in combat assist. Would be perfect and frankly seems like an idea that someone should/would have implemented long ago.

That’s my two-cents worth.

Edit: While im at it, there is a feature i would enjoy very much for the Miqo forum… Search box for discussion forum…. k-thx.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Pain Pain.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Pain Pain.

HalfDisabled
    Participant
    3+

I know I’m in a vast minority at this point but lately I’ve used Miqo almost exclusively for its combat capabilities. I’ve got a disability that makes some classes nearly impossible to play or very painful at best and being able to still level, gear, and do the class quests for them is a godsend and has extended my playtime in FFXIV by 10x.

Using miqo as an accessibility tool is probably outside the original intention of it but because I use it for this, personally, my vote for highest priority would be toward finishing combat assist up to 80 for every class.

As for automated MSQ… I could see using it once on an alt but to me FFXIV is so much about the story that I’d never want to use it for any content I’ve never experienced. Miqo is a wonderful tool for eliminating the grind of crafting/gathering but I’d hate to see it start attracting droves of gil sellers and raising the profile of miqo to the point that the community is on the active lookout for users. However the miqo team is incredibly intelligent and if their MSQ automation looks sufficiently like a real player that they feel confident that even if someone were on the lookout they couldn’t prove you’re a bot, maybe its worth it to finish just to not waste the effort they already put in. I’m conflicted.

Fate grinding would be wonderful, as would Eureka support. But right now even with the Shadowbringers changes Fates aren’t super worth it after a point and Eureka is likely to get changes to make it more solo friendly so perhaps its not worth working on until something is announced. I suspect the new relics might get tied to Fates again this expansion though, so that is something to consider.

My priority list personally would look something like
    1. Combat Assist complete to 80, perhaps including scenario integration
    2. Trust dungeons
    3. Global chat pause
    4. Vendor navigation support

So I guess bottom line
    MSQ – Lean No
    Fates – Low Priority / 1 instance
    Eureka – Low priority / 1 instance
    PVP – Lean No
    Refunds – Nah, people who are careless enough to get banned don’t need refunds.

Sugar Daddy
    Sugar Daddy
    Participant
    1+

I choose option 1: Don’t do it, no unnecessary risks.

Cheers,

SD

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Not sure about getting disconnected much but It runs too well for me.

If you have a nice stable connection, then sure – Miqo is the best! Though, if you don’t, you are in deep shit: at best you fail key sequence because of lag, so scrip interaction fails (and you either buy wrong items, or don’t buy anything at all, which lead to scrip overcap, waste of scrips and you being very desperate for REAL vendor support); if you are less lucky, you move too far because of lag, run into aggro mob and die; in the worst case you just get disconnected, and voila – several hours are lost while you sleep.

As for Navigation mesh, I mentioned that it could be edited by the user at any time which means that less effort on your end when making it and it β€œscans” the area for a short time before it creates a path (The game will lag for a few seconds or even freeze if the pc sucks).

Well yes, I’ve switched to smallest cubes, so short freezes indeed occur; though, it doesn’t help anyway. Maybe I’m n00b at nav.manager, but I tend to modify not just needed cubes, but also cubes nearby, which means that I either delete correct cubes, or add extra cubes, or just add cubes of wrong type, etc. As a result, my toon tries to avoid invisible obstacles (or the opposite: tries to get through real obstacles), it changes directions several times per second (i.e. my char twitches so much so ppl start to ask if I’m ok)……. and then I spend countless hours editing and editing and editing. Trust me, this is NOT what people would like! Benefits of easy setup are just as easily counterweighted with increased other players attention, and thus ban risk. So no, it is definitely NOT “very safe”, IMHO…

u2mad
    Participant

I personally don’t have any plans to use Miqo for open world stuff outside of crafting and maybe the fates depending on how it behaves. No unnecessary risks where we don’t need to take them. PotD and HoH are two other potential places I’ve considered using Miqo that involves other people, but again, I would have to see how it acts and how easy it would be to spot as a bot compared to just someone not talking.

I would say the safest option is 1. But if going with option 3 has not consequences for someone sticking closer to option 1, I’m not sure there’s so much of a reason to limit it, unless there just isn’t enough time to.
    Anyone using Miqo should understand the risks involved, and nobody should leave Miqo farming an open world unattended for hours on end and not expect to get their account banned. The whole point of Miqo is to take out some of the grind, not to make other players experience worse.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant
    4+

I would pick Option 1, no hesitation, here’s why.

——————

Material hunting (No): I don’t see the point any more when the Retainers can bring back every of those mats already.

I would suggest everyone somehow struggling on that, to consider investing in additional Retainers, they’re useful for so many things, get 3/4 DoW one, one of each DoL kind, and you’re set. For your DoW one, give them all the same job, your main job, give them each the current AF, and then your gear each time you change it. For DoL ones, craft them each an HQ i430 set, and put Gathering Materia grade V/VI in each 100% slot, you’ll be able to get them all back later when you’ll change their gear.
    It takes just a couple of weeks of normal playing to get a 999 stack of every single new mob materials of a new expansion, which bunch of those HQ, where HQ in some instances are quite helpful in ShB.

Camping a Retainer bell overnight in a locked private room must be one of the safest way to use a bot, Miqo just need to add a little feature to resend Retainers.

When you have many Retainers, you can store everything of the current expansion, and everything still relevant from past ones, you have full stacks ready of everything besides some ephemeral/hiden and new unspoiled/legendaries, and some fish, that’s still tons of useful things done safely and entirely with Retainers.

By playing the game normally and/or using a bit Squadron Dungeon unsync, you’ll reach thousands of Retainers tokens, more than you can spend (even regular players have currently more than they can spend).
    It’s because of that, that those mats are so cheap on the MB, because there’s an integrated bot in the game already, make the best use of it!

Since 1.0, bots grinding mobs are so easy to spot, there was a time in ARR where black sheep in Coerthas were camped 24/7 by bots, players complained, then SE released Retainers Ventures, and those bots stopped to be relevant and started to disappear. Then in SB when tokens for Retainers Ventures started to be so easily obtainable, botting for that really became irrelevant.

I know, real money doesn’t grow on trees, but do yourself a favour, if you’re a crafter, get some Retainers. If you find yourself not having the mats already in stock before doing some craft, you’re probably doing it wrong, you’re likely lacking some Retainer inventory space. Extra Retainers were supposed to launch in 1.0, for a couple of reasons, it got postponed until ARR, and it’s only even later that the option of buying 4+ was released, it’s only at that time, that all what this game had to propose crafting/gathering wise, became unleashed and fully enjoyable, before that, it was a constant struggle.
    So, trust me, for many reasons, consider investing money in extra Retainers, this will multiply your potential.

TL/DR: I feel that if Material hunting is released in Miqobot, way too many rookie/new users will jump on it before realising there’s better options, lots are gonna get spotted, and banned. This will draw unwanted attention from FFXIV players and SE.
    I get that this was maybe a relevant feature in the past (but already way too risky), and it’s definitely not relevant any more, those mats are cheap, and Retainers can get them safely.
    Both a single button in one Miqo Tab to resend all Retainers to their previous ventures, and a scenario command for it, should cover the needs.

——————

FATE farming (No): This was maybe relevant in the past, and I understood when Miqo devs added it to their roadmap, but it’s not relevant any more, and too risky.

There’s already better ways in Miqo for EXP, and there will be more ways quite soon. Like stated above already, Retainers can bring already those Gem mats.
    I feel that with Combat Assist, it covers already most needs tied to FATE. I suppose plenty of Miqo users are already using Combat Assist for ShB A trains, while watching/reading something else on a side monitor. FATE can be handled the same way, like a user stated already, an auto-targeting feature able to differentiate FATE mobs from regular mobs, would be the only necessary addition to Combat Assist when it comes to farming fate while watching/reading stuff a on side monitor, or listening a podcast, etc.

In the past, it’s true I wanted that feature just for the FATE achievements, but today I don’t think it worth the risk, and I certainly don’t think it worth the development time.

——————

Automated MSQ (No): This was maybe relevant in the past, it became irrelevant the day SE released jump potions.

FFXIV is a story driven MMORPG, Miqobot was made by players enjoying it for that, for players enjoying it for that as well.
    FFXIV is a MMORPG where one character can do everything, can play every job, the needs for Alts is very low.
    People usually making Alts are people who want to redo the story, and so Automated MSQ isn’t useful for them, and soon FFXIV will release New Game +, where everyone will be able to redo MSQ without making an Alt.
    Other people making Alts, are a niche within Savage Raiders, and with SE new Savage loot coffers, RNG loot days are gone, gearing secondary jobs within a static is now extremely faster, completely plannable, and RNG free.

This looks like a feature that would cost so many devs hours, and that cost already way too many devs hours in my opinion, this is a gigantic task, for something not really relevant to the Miqo user base, and regular player base.

——————

Automated Quests (No): This is a feature I wanted in the past, only to do daily Beast Tribes DoL/DoH quests for loot, long after their release, but with time, it became irrelevant.

When Miqo devs started to talk about that feature, I wanted it to get daily Materias every day from Beast Tribes, but later on Airship started to bring back trucks of Materias, when handled correctly Squadrons bring back some too, Miqo and Scrips too, etc.
    I also found that for my personal use, I stopped needing Best Tribe currencies once I was done ranking them, I earned enough during the process. And I enjoy ranking them manually right after their release (with or without the current different Miqo Assist features, Combat and DoL/DoH ones).

Again here, this seems like a feature that cost too much development time for what it really brings in the end. The current different Assists features are enough.

——————

PvP (No): It’s a place where suspicion is already quite high due to some mediocre bots in SB that tried to bank on the EXP.
    It’s quite disrespectful to other players to do FL/Astragalos and not giving the best of yourself to win. I really dislike when I end up with players only there for their daily roulette rewards, or that just hope to get carried for their mount grind, and that will not try hard enough, or came without even reading the in-game manual.
    That’s why I queue there only with a pre-made.

Bots in PvP will draw more than unwanted attention/suspicion, it will drive players mad when they’ll loose and suspect they had bot(s) in their team. And it’s one case where SE will stop to close their eyes.

——————

Eureka (Maybe): I’m torn on this one.

It depends on how they’re gonna nerf it. If they nerf it enough so that soloing mobs is enough to get the required mats/light, then putting your char in an isolated mobs group, having Miqo picking them one by one, or by tiny groups, and killing them with Combat Assist, this is something I would find relevant, and that I would use, but I would keep an eye on it at all time, this is something I would put on a secondary monitor while working or playing another game.
    This is something I would expect only done by ranged jobs, never really moving, just cycling through a specific mob name, and attack it.
    This is something that look like a bot in Open World, but is an expected behaviour in Eureka. I suppose that used carefully by players not too greedy (changing spots often, etc.) and willing to monitor closely the nearby area and conversations, could be okay.

I’m only answering Maybe, because I think that in this described form, it could not cost long to develop, but it remains to see first how SE will nerf it.

——————

Refunds (No): This look like something that would cost handling time and troubles. People could abuse it.

——————

A couple of people mentioned something that I also feel, I don’t see Miqo as a bot, but rather as an assistant.

And since this post digressed also into some kind of priority wish list, here’s mine and why:

1. Combat Assist: Queuing abilities.
    Since Miqo devs mentioned the development of that feature, I found that it is the one missing the most currently, the one that makes Miqo plays like a real player. I would prefer getting that before we get all remaining abilities, I mean, my hope is that it’s not gonna get implemented after the release of all abilities, but before.

2. Combat Assist: Remaining abilities.

3. Combat Assist: Options for using manually some abilities. Support for potions.

4. Combat Assist: Support for openers, both before the fight, and during a fight after a break.

5. Trust support.

6. Combat in Scenarios for some instances, old solo unsync primals.

7. PoTD basic solo support for lowest floors.

8. Solver: New abilities (if devs found some relevant enough).

9. Gathering: New abilities.

10. Triple Triad: even if it is an imperfect support, it’s bot time, I don’t mind if Miqo lose most of games, she’ll still end up getting the drops when she wins, with enough time.

11. A better UI.

12. Pause for chat for Gathering, Crafting, Scenarios. Simple alarms for /say /shout /yell /tell. Displaying chats in Miqo window, just displaying, for monitoring purposes when the game is muted and minimized.

——————

My hopes are that once the Combat Assist is almost fully implemented, it will get easier and fast to update it if SE releases some changes sometimes for some abilities during the expansion, and that for new expansions, the 1st thing we’ll get after the bot is fixed to use previous expansion behaviour, would be the new Combat abilities, maybe one job at a time.

Some users here and in other topics want some sort of dungeon grid support, hoping they would make themselves the support for a particular Squadron or Trust sync dungeon, and I think they’re overlooking the complexity of that, it is way more than a grid and some basic commands. What devs made for Squadron, detect mechanics, detect NPCs, and react to all of it, it’s not trivial, even if from the player point of view, it is just dungeon mechanics, the most minor ones, it’s not trivial at all.

I think that for sync content, it’s better to let them programmed it themselves, releases have been slow there because they were made along the Combat Assist, I assume they will be faster once all abilities are implemented.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Carl Arbogast Carl Arbogast.
    MiqoBaby
    MiqoBaby
    Participant
    1+

Personally if it’s there, I’m going to use it. I love all the features. What I would really like at the moment is a possible ETA on all classes being combat updated for all rotations. I am a BRD and it does great in Savage, but I really want to get my MCH in there. If anything was to be first and I know that’s not what this is asking, I’d like that to be #1 priority.

zylo1010
    Participant
    2+

Tbh, I only cares about trust support. But now I have all the jobs at 80 already. So…. Yea.

Kaplan
    Kaplan
    Participant
    1+

I lean to option 2.
    As said by many, the top request for me would also be Trust Dungeons but FATE grinding also sounds very nice indeed.
    Then again, i use Miqobot without going away from the PC so I know when people try to reach me by chat – and that brings me to a very very important topic already mentioned: auto pause when chat input is given? If i want to write something I shouldn’t have to stop the entire scenario, and iirc it’s already a feature in the combat assist we have now.
    With that said, keep up the good work! Thanks!

PandaCat
    Participant
    3+

I’m hard on Option 1 – I’d rather this bot stayed alive and relatively safe to use. The features that’ve been listed aren’t really for people who love the game, they’re for people who want to profit from the game, and I don’t believe this community needs them.

For FATE grinding, maybe add an optional “target X mob for X seconds” in the combat assist, and then all we have to do is move.

Definitely don’t be giving out refunds though, that’s too easy to abuse.

I’m just waiting for trust dungeon support, and I’ll be golden. πŸ™‚

nanashi
    Participant
    2+

Honestly the only things I use this bot for are; Combat for classes I’m not good enough for/unfamiliar with, Gathering while I play a different video game, Crafting huge amounts of materials, and occasionally POTD/HoH/Deep Dungeons because the radar. So if those things get updated, baring some obvious incompatibilities like dancers dancing, and maybe some qol like pause for chat on every mode would be great and keep me around til the game itself is ded.

Theonething
    Participant
    1+

I personaly would love Trust, HoH/PotD, Combat assist, and crafting in that order. As for giving refunds…you have to be doing something to get you noticed to get banned. If they are stupid enough to have done that (I.e: I saw someone farming one spot for 9+hours nonstop the other day using a grid that made it completely obvious they were botting) then they don’t need a refund.

luluna
    Participant
    2+

This is a good thread – it feels that Miqo is interested in understanding the shifting priorities of their user base.

With the introduction of the combat system, MANY things have been made easier. Also, it has introduced a very interesting playstyle – you get the benefit of botting while actively playing. With the combat system, you already DO have FATE/eureka grinding and material hunting. It is just not fully hands off.

With that said, I think their implementation as a fully developed feature should be dependent on the level of support you wish to provide as quests or fates undergo changes by SE. As we know, they’re already planning on condensing some of the older MSQ. Is it worth always having to test and maintain?

With respects to the concern of demands for refunds, I think as a business, its always smart to err on the side of customer appeasement. Create a very easily understood policy. For example, one refund per person per year. Something like this would put most newcomers at rest showing that you guys are fully supporting your product, but if the user accepts the risk and banned a second time – that is on them, but after a year, maybe you’ll show a little leniency. The idea suggested by others to blatantly delare that no refunds will be offered is a bit short sighted and would scare potential clients away. Everyone wants a little security (in knowing what they’re buying is supported where it matters, by the money). If I was interested in a somewhat unknown product, and see in a disclaimer that no refunds will be offered under any circumstances, I’d run away.

With that said, combat assist for PvP would be AMAZING. PvP should never be fully automated, but combat assist would be an amazing boon. Something like this should definitely never be multi-boxed though.

Since people are listing priorities, mine would be:

Up-to-date combat assist
    Up-to-date Craft Solver
    Automated Trust support
    Combat assisted-pvp
    Triple Triad

luluna
    Participant
    1+

One more note – I think people expressed concerns that PvP is a feature that should be avoided because it directly impacts other players. While it is most certainly true, gathering/craft definitely impacts other players. At the end of the day, normal players are in direct competition via the marketboard.

As long as PvP is limited to combat assist, I think the risk is generally the same as bot-assisted gathering and selling on the marketboard. The overall risk increases in general, but this will be true for any new feature added (as more features = more visibility/exposure and potentially more users).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Asking the community: Thoughts on Open World Combat and User Protection’ is closed to new replies.