Trying to run something as a duo

Forum Forums Discussion Trying to run something as a duo

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Lyfox Lyfox 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tkin
    Participant

I tested out the squadron-based scripts – the ones that are designed to be run solo. I figured what’s better than running it solo… than in a duo? Clear it probably 33% faster.

Surprisingly, it plays really nice like that – except for one issue that I can’t put my finger on. Sometimes, if player #1 engages a group of enemies, player #2 just runs right on by. In some cases, the script recovers. But in other cases (and one is enough to break the script), the other player just runs off to the next “wall” and waits there until they time out. Which effectively breaks both scripts because the first player can’t re-enter the dungeon while the other player’s script has died.

Where can I find more information about the command “squadron(1).” There’s a lot going on in there – it is very well written. It dodges, it uses good rotations. I’m just curious to see if there’s a way to see what the logic is that tells one of the other players to “ignore these mobs and run on ahead.”

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

The command squadron(1) simply clicks the start button on the combat tab. Which in turn launches a whole array of subroutines like rotations, aoe dodging, dungeon mapping and stuff. But thats probably not what youre asking about.

Miqo wasnt designed to run dungeons with other player characters. If i remember correctly it used to panic and trigger a kill switch when you tried running it in a party. So most likely what you encountered is an undefined behavior caused by an unsupported use case. Looks like one of those mysterious bugs that appear when you try to mash several complex systems together without considering the consequences.

tkin
    Participant

So, it was interesting in that it mostly operated how I expected. It managed to handle Player 1 popping the dungeon (I put a short wait on player 2, so it wouldn’t hit “squadron(1)” until the window was already open on their screen. Two tanks in a zone – both using the “tank path” or whatever. It was like having a shadow following me around, except I was doing double damage essentially. It ran _very_ well until one of the last pulls. Then it was like tank #2 would simply run through enemies that tank #1 already pulled.

I just wish I understood the logic of how it worked.

I wasn’t expecting this to be a supported feature. But it seems like it is probably just one defect away from working for a use case that wasn’t even anticipated. Fairly robust code.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

Guess i understand what you mean. Basically the issue happens because the game handles NPC party and player party differently. When something attacks one of your trust NPCs it immediately pops in your aggro list. Miqo notices it and helps with that pull. But when something attacks another player nothing shows up in your enmity. Miqo doesnt care when something does not attack her directly so she ignores everything and moves on.

Since she wasnt designed to work with other players she doesnt know that such thing can happen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.