Miqo on Linux

Forum Forums Discussion Miqo on Linux

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  khmmiqobot 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

LonelyOnLinux
    Participant

I am not super tech savy and tend to play on my SO’s computer. They run linux. Is there anyone in the community who has gotten Miqo running on Linux and if so would they be able to provide a guide or support on getting it running on the FFXIV wine prefix?

khmmiqobot
    Participant

Others are VMware and KVM (which is more advance but has more control). But, if you want an “All-in-One” with support, purchase Crossover.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  khmmiqobot.
    jimjankins
    jimjankins
    Participant

It’s my understanding that Wine isn’t actually the only option for running Windows games under Linux anymore. Check out Proton, another compatibility library being developed by Valve. It has varying levels of support for various games, but is under heavy development and has progressed quite well so far. Here’s an article that shows some examples of setting it up for Steam games:

https://www.howtogeek.com/738967/how-to-use-steams-proton-to-play-windows-games-on-linux/

Some games are actually better optimized for Proton versus Wine, especially on higher-end graphics hardware (2070 cards and higher). For FFXIV in particular, Proton may get you better performance versus Wine due to it’s superior implementation of Vulkan and how it translates DX11 calls into Vulkan equivalents.

Solutions like VMware and KVM are much more tech-involved, in terms of setting up GPU hardware acceleration properly for the virtual host.

edit: in terms of running Miqo on Linux natively or via Wine, I’d assume we would need either an updated Linux binary, or source code to compile ourselves, both of which are *BIG* asks and not likely to happen.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by jimjankins jimjankins.

LonelyOnLinux
    Participant

I have FFXIV, the XLLauncher and ACT working fine through Lutris/Wine. Just wondering if Miqo uses any APIs that wine wouldn’t be able to handle or any dotNET distributions that wouldn’t work. I am using lutris because I had problems with geting ACT to work in proton since there is less winetricks like support.

khmmiqobot
    Participant
    1+

Miqo is built on Cs and a few other scripters with an Autoit Wrapper. As long as those are able to port, you should be fine with a little fudging around on the libs.

cmscy
    Participant

Just install the game with lutris, use xivlauncher to login, add Miqobot in the same container as the game and launch it but, there is no way to do it without becoming a bit technical

airsmit
    Participant

Crossover – for linux, macos, and chromeos – works like a charm. Miqobot does “work” but the keypresses are delayed a bit past acceptable imo (probably only effects assist mode) and the auto navigation doesn’t work properly (probably something to do with overlays – it acts like it wants to just doesn’t).

khmmiqobot
    Participant

The delays are due to input lag from the emulation. Can’t get around with some sort of delay without actually running the OS it was built for. Only other way is to see if you can just do a dual boot Linux/Windows.

cmscy
    Participant

wine is not emulating anything, it’s in the name, the delay is due the translation layer, it’s also the reason navigation is broken

khmmiqobot
    Participant

Thanks for correcting me. I haven’t played with Linux in awhile…so, my info can be off. Besides whether it’s an emulator or not, the delay is still due to Miqo not running on it’s native platform.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.