Is it hypocritical to report obvious RMT bots/pos hackers?

Forum Forums Discussion Is it hypocritical to report obvious RMT bots/pos hackers?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lukaribro 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Xion
    Participant
    1+

Is it just me who gets annoyed when you see a farm of generic bard msq bots that we all know if used for RMT and using pos hacking and reports them?

Is it hypocritical? We all use Miqo for various reasons but I’d imagine most here it’s to cut out the less exciting activities like gathering or crafting, battle assist, and the like?

propagating
    Participant

You don’t want to draw extra attention to your account, which you will do if you report a suspected bot/rmt/hacker that is not doing anything obvious. Unless they are spamming ‘buy gold at gold.com’/walking on air because they are using fly hacks/something to that effect, you probably don’t want to report them.

Xion
    Participant
    1+

You don’t want to draw extra attention to your account, which you will do if you report a suspected bot/rmt/hacker that is not doing anything obvious. Unless they are spamming ‘buy gold at gold.com’/walking on air because they are using fly hacks/something to that effect, you probably don’t want to report them.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe the reporting account is of interest?

Xion
    Participant
    1+

This is the type of pos hacking I’m talking about, obviously more clear when you see an enemy being fought but nothing is attacking it visually until you target the target of the target

propagating
    Participant

I’m sorry to be vague, but it’s from experience working on both sides of the process. You want to do as little as possible to bring your actions under review. When you submit reports, your location and recent activity are part of the information reviewed, and depending on how recently you were botting, some of that activity could be included.

In your example, it looks like someone stuck in a cutscene that is invulnerable because of the cutscene. Maybe it’s hacking, but could be a glitch. So there’s a balance you need to strike here. It’s generally safer not to report people except in extremely obvious cases, and it’s generally safer not to report people within a few hours of running your scenarios.

Xion
    Participant
    1+

In your example, it looks like someone stuck in a cutscene that is invulnerable because of the cutscene. Maybe it’s hacking, but could be a glitch. So there’s a balance you need to strike here. It’s generally safer not to report people except in extremely obvious cases, and it’s generally safer not to report people within a few hours of running your scenarios.

Trust me, they are definitely pos hacking. If you ever observe these bots they pop for a brief second then poof underground (you can see that if you still have them targeted).

Regarding my account, I have an alt account that I use the bot so I have nothing to worry about. I just wanted a discussion if it is just me who reports these people or just being hypocritical lol

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    1+

I find it too bothersome to file a report on anyone even if theyre using blatant hacks to the point of being stupid. Those are usually throwaway accounts anyway so no matter how many times you report it they will always come back.

As to the moral aspect.. I dont know. Is it hypocritical to mow a lawn? Probably the same thing. If you like doing it then why would anyone judge you.

Andylynyn
    Participant

I find it too bothersome to file a report on anyone even if theyre using blatant hacks to the point of being stupid. Those are usually throwaway accounts anyway so no matter how many times you report it they will always come back.

As to the moral aspect.. I dont know. Is it hypocritical to mow a lawn? Probably the same thing. If you like doing it then why would anyone judge you.

I think the point of the hypocritical thing is “This is bad, we know it’s bad, but I do it too and complain and report other ones”.

Not sure mowing the lawn qualifies there. xD It’s more along the lines of saying something like “Those damn misogynists!” while wearing a Trump t-shirt.

Xion
    Participant
    1+

That’s a fair perspective. I guess it boils down to if you want to some feelgood points.

Not sure mowing the lawn qualifies there. xD It’s more along the lines of saying something like “Those damn misogynists!” while wearing a Trump t-shirt.

Hah yeah that’s a good analogy I guess 😀

But also, damn you lawn.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Xion.

propagating
    Participant

Something else to consider, SQENIX is almost certainly tracking individuals that access blatantly inaccessible areas and that use actual hacks. They rarely, if ever, do bans 1 at a time. Doing single bans are much less effective and give authors more time to circumvent detection than doing larger ban waves. Something will eventually be done, even without your report for most cases. I guess, do it if you really feel the need to, but most likely your report won’t change the outcome.

rxantos
    Participant

Teleportation underground would be trivial to identify by just doing a search on their logs. Specially when someone does it several times.
    Same with teleporting to areas where there is no teleportation. It would be trivial for square to do a search on players that did so. Assuming of course that
    A. They care.
    B. They implemented the tools to do an easy search.

I seriously believe that they do not care as long as there is not shown publicly. (Like being an idiot an streaming while having hacks, or using duty finder with an unmanned bot). But that’s just my opinion based on the Japanese concept of “saving face”.

DarknessVisible
    Participant

I don’t know about the morality of it but it’s not good for your own account. FFXIV isn’t like other MMOs where reports are automated. GMs personally go through your reports which means a GM is also likely giving your account attention. I don’t know how often personal accounts are banned but I do know that you don’t want a GM looking at your account too closely, especially if you regularly use controller or you’re using miqo for combat of any kind.

Arc
    Arc
    3+

In my opinion it’s not hypocritical at all.
    If someone is botting/hacking so obvious that I notice it (e.g. teleport hacks or multiboxers) I’ll report them.
    If they’re using a Miqobot scenario that I’ve also used I’ll just smirk and do nothing.

Lukaribro
    Participant

Yes it is hypocritical. Very. You’re both cheating.

Although those POS hacking bots are the only thing I’ve ever seen a GM promptly show up and ban the lot of them since there’s just no defense.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.