Input lag when using Miqo

Forum Forums Discussion Input lag when using Miqo

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tul02130 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

tul02130
    Participant

So basically i noticed that whenever you have Miqo open, even without any visuals enabled the refresh rate seems to drop down from 144hz OR it simply causes input lag for another reason. I suspect that Miqo even if you have no 3d radar options enabled has an empty overlay rendered which messes with refresh rates and mouse smoothnes. I love the combat assist and other bots so could you look into it? Maybe add an option to fully disable the overlay for optimal performance?

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

You sure that when you open Miqobot, you see your FPS dropping, and when you close it your FPS increase? You actually watched your FPS counter to underpin that?

Are you using a G-Sync monitor?
    Is FFXIV full screen or windowed?
    Are you putting Miqobot on a second monitor, where that monitor has a lower refresh rate, like 60 Hz?
    In case you have a G-Sync monitor, are you using a FPS limiter like RTSS to prevent your screen from reaching 144 FPS which would disable G-Sync?

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

Also click ‘+’ button > Advanced settings > 3d radar > draw method.
    Which one have you selected?

tul02130
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, my fps are not dropping, it simply feels like 60hz would, compared to 144hz, I have the fps i have without miqobot aswell, it just all indicates that miqobot is messing with the refresh rate due to the overlay.

144HZ Gsync Monitor indeed
    Its in borderless windowed
    I only use that one monitor and simply minimize miqobot
    I use the ingame fps cap and i never exceed 135fps regardless

I will try without gsync.

As expected, with gsync disabled the problem seems to be gone or at least reduced. Indicating once again that the overlay is at fault.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  tul02130.

tul02130
    Participant

Also click ‘+’ button > Advanced settings > 3d radar > draw method.
    Which one have you selected?

nothing and navigator has show on radar off

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

It has to be either overlay or always on top. Which one is it?

tul02130
    Participant

It has to be either overlay or always on top. Which one is it?

Doesn’t make a diffrence for me.
    I thought you meant
    “show” as the condition for what it shows ^^

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  tul02130.
    Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

The behaviour you are encountering, having 130+FPS while it feels like it is 60Hz (stuttering, etc.), is a well known one indeed.

It will only happen with a game run windowed.

And in majority of cases it happens when you run a game windowed on your main G-sync monitor, while you run on a secondary monitor with a different refresh rate another program that will use on that monitor the GPU sometimes, such as a web browser like Firefox for example.

When this happens, dragging the incriminated program to the main monitor fixes immediately the problem.

That being said I never seen that problem when only one monitor is used.

Also, with a G-sync monitor, when a game doesn’t have an accurate in-game FPS limiter, one that you can accurately set to a specific number, it’s highly recommenced to use an external FPS limiter.
    The external FPS limiter, yes it will give you 1 FPS of input lag, but it will make your G-Sync work 100% of the time.

In your case, with a 144Hz monitor, you want to cap it at 141 FPS (because it always fluctuate a bit), that way you sure you’ll never reach 144 FPS, and that G-sync will never stop working.

In case you’re sceptical, here is the source from the best tester of this technology, Blur Buster:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/11/

So, if a game have an FPS limiter you can set to 141, use that one. If it is like FFXIV and the game doesn’t have such an accurate FPS limiter, use RTSS:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Carl Arbogast Carl Arbogast.

tul02130
    Participant

Im aware of that, usually setting 141 when possible, i dont think thats the issue here tho.
    Do you know if the overlay window is present at all when i dont use any features like navigator and 3d radar?

Miqobot
    Miqobot
    Keymaster
    1+

Here is the list of settings that must be disabled in order to deactivate 3D Radar overlay completely:

1. 3D Radar tab -> Show -> Nothing.
    2. 3D Radar tab -> Show FATEs -> List / World.
    3. 3D Radar tab -> Show Gathering -> Out of reach.
    4. Navigation tab -> Show on radar.
    5. Gold Saucer tab -> Racing -> Show -> Rails / Mid-rail / Progress / Waypoints.
    6. Combat tab -> 3D Radar -> Show arena.
    7. Combat tab -> Assist -> Pause -> Show pause status.

You can verify that 3D Radar is deactivated by looking at the top left corner of the game.

• If you see a transparent box, it means 3D Radar application is rendering the overlay window.
    • If the top left corner is empty, it means 3D Radar application is deactivated.

tul02130
    Participant

That was what I was looking far, thanks alot @miqobot, it indeed was a very small grey box up there in the top left corner, disabled everything and now its gone, I assumed unused tabs wouldnt force the overlay on but thats not an issue.
    I will now reactivate G-Sync and see if the issue is gone 🙂

tul02130
    Participant

It absolutely did, everything is as smooth as without :p

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.