How likely is it for a crafter bot to get caught?

Forum Forums Discussion How likely is it for a crafter bot to get caught?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by renii renii 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

qubc
    Participant

Just out of curiosity. if I only use miqo to craft, and I only craft inside inns. How likely am I to get caught? Since there is no other player around.
    Also what would be the best place to do something like this?
    City Inns or locked personal house/apartment

Andylynyn
    Participant

Just out of curiosity. if I only use miqo to craft, and I only craft inside inns. How likely am I to get caught? Since there is no other player around.
    Also what would be the best place to do something like this?
    City Inns or locked personal house/apartment

It’s pretty chill. Miqo actually “clicks” on your keys and is as safe as possible, just don’t leave it unattended for long crafting sessions regardless.

The old adage of “Never bot unattended” applies in Inns too. I’m pretty sure GMs can pop in, or pull you out, and they can clearly monitor you inside them and message you, if they get suspicious.

There’s no big evidence of this but ALWAYS assume the people that have access to administrative/moderating tools WILL probably use them.

Arc
    Arc

Honestly speaking, we don’t know, and except for the Square Enix staff nobody knows that for certain. Anything said about this topic is only based on anecdotal evidence.

Because of this, we always advise anyone to be careful with any kind of botting they do. As long as you don’t keep Miqobot unattended and your crafting sessions could realistically be done by a human, you should be absolutely safe.
    All cases of people receiving a ban for using Miqobot I know of (me included), were caused by people not following these safety guidelines properly.

You have to estimate it yourself. Imagine a person that absolutely adores crafting and loves to do nothing else the entire day for weeks and months (yes, there are people like that). How much crafting would that person do, and when would that person do that? This will be your answer of how much crafting you can do, for how long and where.
    There are people out there that craft 7 days a week for 18 hours a day.

Getting into an inn for botting completely eliminates the variable of players reporting you. However, it could in theory increase your chance of getting investigated by a GM, IF Square Enix has surveillance tools that show what items players are receiving, and when & where they are receiving them (and we don’t know if that is the case).

From my personal experience I’ve never read about anyone ever receiving a GM tell while botting with Miqobot. All I have seen is that some people (me included) received a 3-day ban for botting unattended over extended periods of time (multiple days without pause).

edgedy
    Participant

The only way to get caught is if another player reports you. SE by Japanese law doesn’t allow monitoring software in their clients.

Vixen
    Vixen
    Participant
    1+

That doesn’t mean they can’t monitor the servers, though.

jponry
    jponry
    Participant
    4+

When I was considering picking up Miqobot for the first time I did a lot of “risk assessment” so-to-speak. This paper was an interesting read on the legality and practicality of client-side anti-cheat measures. That leaves server-side anti-cheat which is interesting to think about. Here are my thoughts, if anyone is interested.

As Arc said, there are some people who are extremely passionate and hardcore about certain aspects of the game, like crafting. Even if that’s a small percentage of the playerbase, XIV’s playerbase in and of itself is by no means small. Imagine a server-side monitoring system that flagged potential cheaters based on some simple variable, such as “how long have they been crafting today.” This would 1. most likely flag a lot of false positives and 2. force an actual human on SE’s end to investigate each flag because automatic suspensions/bans would be outrageous (see point #1).

This brings it down to a question of resource management for SE. How many resources would they devote to investigating potential botters who were flagged by the server on some arbitrary condition? Furthermore, what would they sacrifice in order to do this? What would they gain? What if it was a botter, but they were able to respond to the GM that contacts them, therefore appearing as a real player and giving the GM no solid grounds to punish them?

I personally use Miqo mainly to automate incredibly simple, monotonous, time-consuming things. My personal rule is to never automate something I couldn’t do myself. It’s more of a “work smarter not harder” thing for me, you know? Lately I’ve been going for An Eye For Quality IV achievements for both BTN and MIN which requires 20,000 HQ hits on a node (each!). Now look at that from SE’s perspective. Am I significantly upsetting the balance of the game? Am I actively making a real-world profit off of this? Are SE losing revenue from this? And, perhaps most importantly, is it unheard of for a human to perform such a feat? The answer is no to all of those. They have bigger fish to fry. Of course, if I were reported by another player and subsequently investigated by a GM, that’s a completely different story and not the result of any anti-cheat software whatsoever.

All things considered, the only thing I really concern myself with is social safety. I make my own grids and put a lot of effort into having the movement appear natural. I have audio triggers for players targeting me, emoting at me, and sending me tells. I’ve never been contacted by a GM, and only been tell-checked by random players maybe 3 times across all the hours I’ve spent botting. Know the risks and be smart.

Xion
    Participant

It’s not 100% but I would say it pretty unlikely you get caught.
    As anything with a bot, never do it to extreme and over periods of time.

When I craft I do it attended and not 24/7. I can do it all day while doing other tasks outside of the game but if someone comes to me or someone try talk to me, I can just pause and interact with people and then just resume.

Same goes for gatherering, battle assist etc.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  Xion.

Edib
    Participant

@jponry
    Which mod do you use for /tell or target notifications?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Edib.
    Vixen
    Vixen
    Participant

The XIVLauncher plugin “Peeping Tom” can play a sound (and highlight, and even log names) whenever someone targets you. IIRC, you can set any sound file you want as the notification noise. XIVChat (a combined plugin for the launcher and external application, windows or android) can display and even send chat from outside the game. It’s basically a second, external, and frankly much better entire chat interface. You can create an arbitrary number of tabs and set filters for each of them, so you can see just whatever categories of messages matter to you for monitoring, regardless of your in-game chat tab filters. You can even set up desktop notifications for alert phrases like your name.

renii
    renii
    Participant

bot craft inside your company barracks. you can never be reported and it doesn’t seem to be monitored. i crafted many millions worth of items in there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.