Crafting is broken

Forum Forums Discussion Crafting is broken

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Arc Arc 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

mrniki
    Participant

when i use any option in [CPU Intensive] other than Ingenuity (x4), miqo just literally crashes.. the window stops responding as soon as i click start.. doesn’t give any errors in the chat log because there’s no time for it lol. Any ideas?

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    1+

She doesnt crash she is solving the craft. Take a look at the guide:

Crafting Solver works in two stages:

1. Solving. At this stage Miqobot freezes completely to give more processing power to solving algorithm. The amount of time needed depends on your stats, on recipe’s difficulty, and durability. For example, an 80-durability item usually takes twice longer to solve than a 40-durability item. The time shown in the Solver box is a rough estimate, and it may vary depending on your CPU.
      There is no way to stop Miqobot when she goes into frozen state, so please be patient.
    2. Crafting. As soon as the recipe is solved, Miqobot will be crafting non-stop just the way she does with macro rotations. At the moment, only one recipe solution can be stored in memory.

mrniki
    Participant

oh, i thought that was the time it will take to craft the item, not solve it. My bad. Thanks though!

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Crafting. As soon as the recipe is solved, Miqobot will be crafting non-stop just the way she does with macro rotations. At the moment, only one recipe solution can be stored in memory.

Hm, weird… why “memory”, while you can actually store it in a file? Say, ordered list, where craft/recipe ID is the key, which also contains craftmanship/CP info (and once these values change, solution is considered outdated, and needs to be renewed). Also it should probably be a common file rather than character/account-related: several chars over several accounts can share alike eq sets and thus stats.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant
    1+

Hm, weird… why “memory”

Those crafts that need a couple of min to solve take between 500 MB and a 1 GB in memory, that’s a lot to store on a hard drive for a single craft, especially when it’s tied to your exact stats and would be voided with the slight change.

That feature is technically very complex and would not result in a significant boost, because saving and loading solutions will require additional CPU time due to compression and decompression, and this time is comparable to solving itself.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

hose crafts that need a couple of min to solve take between 500 MB and a 1 GB in memory, that’s a lot to store on a hard drive for a single craft

You didn’t get it. You don’t have to store the whole tree of possible sequences – you have to store THE BEST sequence (obtained by the previous solver use). I.e. “craft #XXX, craftmaship YYY, CP ZZZ -> ability1, ability2, … ability30”. That’s just some 100 bytes per craft (assuming that each variable is unsigned word, i.e. 2 bytes).

especially when it’s tied to your exact stats and would be voided with the slight change.

You don’t change your stats THAT often in the endgame, do you?

That feature is technically very complex

You are not a programmer, right? Storing an ordered list in a file is technically very easy, as well as loading it back.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    1+

Crafting Solver doesnt use sequences. It uses hyperdimensional solution maps with probabilistic state transitions.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Wow! So it dynamically changes sequence depending on current material quality? That’s good news indeed, didn’t expect that 🙂 withdrawing my idea then, hehe.

Carl Arbogast
    Carl Arbogast
    Participant

You didn’t get it. You don’t have to store the whole tree of possible sequences – you have to store THE BEST sequence (obtained by the previous solver use).

Crafting in FFXIV includes RNG.

After each crafting steps, you’re left with 4 different possible conditions, Bad, Normal, Good, and Excellent, where 3 of them are completely RNG.

Therefore a sequence for a craft, would not work for your next craft of the very same item, you need the entire solution map each time.

Gray
    Gray
    Spectator

Got it already… I’ve meant material condition, yes – rather than quality.

Arc
    Arc

Just some additional info:
    If I remember it correctly Miqobot even paid a large industry-level computing company to do the math to write the algorithm, since it was so extremely complex that it would be absolutely impossible to do by a small dev team like Miqo’s.
    Also, not only does Miqo’s solver take different material conditions into account, but also failing skills, random buff procs that can occur at any time, etc.

So in comparison, if a macro is a pistol and a human who knows what he does is a rifle, Miqobot’s crafting solver is a ship-mounted railgun.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Arc Arc.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.