A useful Plugin for even safer Miqobot usage

Forum Forums Discussion A useful Plugin for even safer Miqobot usage

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Vixen Vixen 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Arc
    Arc
    6+

Hey everyone,

I know I’m very quiet most of the time, only hopping onto this forum every now and then to organize our grid & scenario indexes, but once in a while I have something to contribute myself and this time it’s an extremely useful plugin for FFXIV that could be the nail in the coffin of safety hazards.

Just some tl;dr: for those who don’t want to read and just know what this is about: A plugin that plays sound effects, when someone simply targets you.

As a lot of you are most likely aware, there are custom launchers for FFXIV, with the most prominent being the FFXIVQuickLauncher from goaaats. I have been personally using this launcher since its early days in early 2019, so I can assure you, there’s nothing fishy going on about that launcher.

The interesting thing about that launcher however is, that he comes with a couple of useful plugins that can be installed via ingame-commands.
    Yes, this launcher injects some code into the game, however this code injection deals mainly with the chat box for plugin installation/configuration as well as the display of different overlays, so SE will typically not detect this code injection, as it doesn’t do fishy stuff like manipulating your characters’ position (i.e. teleporting) or other hacking.
    Still, always use it at your own risk, as this thing breaks the ToS of FFXIV as well, but who am I to tell you about that on a bot forum.

Now the plugin in question that all this was leading up to is the Peeping Tom Plugin.
    What this plugin does is, that it creates a list in an overlay of every player that has targeted you and even comes with a function to play a sound effect, when someone targets you.

For us Miqobot users this can be incredibly useful, for example when you’re doing a longer session of gathering, while watching Netflix or something. The moment someone just clicks on your character for whatever reason, this plugin will warn you about it and you can check in-game if that person is following you / being suspicious of you.

I hope this info was helpful for some of you 🙂

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    8+

The absolute absence of code injections is one of the main reasons i play with Miqo. Injections are super easy to detect so be careful with that. Breaking technical safety to increase social safety looks kinda upside down.

Arc
    Arc
    1+

Yes, I agree that people should be careful with that, but so far I haven’t encountered any problems with that kind of injection.
    Been using it for quite a while now and the launcher is still going strong, with more plugins being developed.

And the reason I’m suggesting this is, that social safety is currently the only danger of using Miqobot. And since SE doesn’t seem to have a problem with the QuickLauncher for now (or doesn’t have it on their radar to begin with), I would believe, that so far technical safety isn’t really harmed by that thing yet.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant

It was the same with datamining. SE didnt care until people got mad about ultimate and started sending them death threats. And suddenly all dataminers received permanent bans. You never know what becomes the next trigger until its too late. I just want to say be careful.

HalfDisabled
    Participant

This is an interesting idea and I hope I’m forgiven if I ask about an additional tool that I thought might be useful.

Does anyone know of a tool or program or whatnot that can pull the FFXIV chat into a separate window? I often need to keep FFXIV minimized while using Miqo to keep from breaking scenarios and a way to keep chat/emotes visible while still keeping the game minimized would allow me to keep an eye out for things like people talking to me in linkshell or FC chat, or just plain old /say or /shout.

My gut says ACT does something like this already but I don’t really know how it works.

I imagine if we could find something like that and ideally have a way to set an alarm noise if someone says our character name or certain keywords we could set ourselves then running Miqo would be even safer than it already is.

Not that I’ve ever even received any notice or accusations that I know of, as long as you’re not too ridiculous with bot usage no one seems to notice in this game, thankfully. But better safe than sorry.

YandeRainy
    Participant
    1+

The ffxiv quick launcher itself will let you create a discord bot that relays chat into a discord server. You can even separate it by the type of chat, so only tells, only FC, both of them, or one in one channel, one in the other channel.

HalfDisabled
    Participant

ohhh that is even better than I hoped! Thanks for the info! I’m going to have to look into this launcher

Asynchria
    Asynchria
    Participant

It was the same with datamining. SE didnt care until people got mad about ultimate and started sending them death threats. And suddenly all dataminers received permanent bans. You never know what becomes the next trigger until its too late. I just want to say be careful.

For what its worth Dataminers did NOT receive permanent bans, only temporary ones. I’m not sure where you heard about permanent suspensions but nobody in the scene was permanently banned for posting datamined info to twitter or reddit or wherever else.

Lyfox
    Lyfox
    Participant
    1+

Oh i see. Thanks for the correction.

Arc
    Arc
    1+

And to put icing on the cake: The dataminers still continue, even on the official Reddit’s Discord. There was even a server-room made specifically for datamined 5.3 stuff again, this time.
    And you know what kind of goody two shoes that always follow the will of Yoshjesus-sama /r/ffxiv people are (except when it’s about parsers).

Xion
    Participant

I second the discord bot, I been using it for like 6 months with xivlauncher. It’s great. Would be cool to communicate from discord too but that would be hard I imagine.

Krude
    Participant

The xivlauncher takes a hard stance to avoid sending any data to the server and do all modifications client-side only. So reading out the game chat and sending it to Discord is fine, taking a Discord message and sending it to FFXIV is a big no-no.

Xion
    Participant

Indeed, that’s why I doubt we’d ever see it.

Kit
    Participant
    1+

Just adding that I have used FFXIVQuickLauncher with most every plugin it offers since March and it has yet to cause me any issue. The injections that Dalamud (its back-end) uses are not throwing any more red flags than Discord Overlay, RTSS, nVidia Instant Replay, etc. This of course could change, but using this launcher is low-risk at worst, its worth checking out.

To piggyback on the OP, there is also a Chat Extender plugin, which allows you to make additional custom chat windows. I always run a window that contains all messages in /say chat as well as any /tell messages that I receive. I even made /tell come up in blood red so that I can easily see it from across the room and respond. Its a very useful companion to botting in FFXIV. With Chat Extender I can safely bot while cooking dinner and cleaning up around the house as long as I can see my computer/laptop screen easily.

haicod2
    Participant

Hello, I just got the plugin XIV Launcher and when i run it with the plugin, im not able to using miqoto bot anymore. Any1 know why?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.